Anyone here ReJetting duraforce 6.5 carbs, what sizes

dfbrown

Threads
  • / Anyone here ReJetting duraforce 6.5 carbs, what sizes
So I picked up a really nice very low hour 10550 and it runs decent at aprox 3,200rpm (snap on digital tach) with very little surge at high idle but surges at low idle but not real bad and yes i cleaned the carb completely (it is cold here in PA maybe lean) cleaned airbox also and air filter, new ngk plug, cleaned fuel tank and lines look great.
So i hear all of these guys rejetting these carbs with a 40 or 42.5 pilot jet (stock is 37.5) and not sure if they are drilling or swapping a main jet and what size.
From what i see the 40 jet is off of a toro suzuki 4 cycle mikuni carb and the 42.5 is a briggs and stratton. Does this work well or anyone have personal feedback about these motors. Only thing I was hesitant about is the ignition coils and plastic carbs/idle surge but people seem to love those things. What do you Think??
I put a post up earlier about amsoil saber because it seems way more advanced and ahead of the times as compared to the old school lawnboy oil. My local guy says the duraforce did not carbon up much its the older ones that did it. He said keep filter clean and not too rich on oil/gas mixture.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Anyone here ReJetting duraforce 6.5 carbs, what sizes
If it came into the shop I would pull the carb and either give it a really good bath or have it ultrasonically cleaned. Make sure that both the main jet and if it has one, the idle jet is open. You don't tell us the model of the engine. When you reassemble it install a new float needle and seat. Set the float level a hair rich. This should do the trick.