Anyone ever added additional anti-scalp wheels/rollers to your mower deck?

packardv8

Threads
  • / Anyone ever added additional anti-scalp wheels/rollers to your mower deck?
My favorite lawn tractor, the Cub Cadet 2135, had four wheels on the 38" mower deck, one at each corner, as well as a wide roller on the front. Since plastic wheels are a one dollar item to manufacturers, wonder why all decks don't have that many wheels?

The new Toro Zero Turn TimeCutter 42" deck has only two wheels, at the front corners. The Toro does a very good job and during mid-to-late summer, I cut at 3.5", so then scalping is only a problem on a very few hills and dips.

During the spring and early summer, the lawn grows faster, so I usually cut it at 3". Does anyone think adding two rear wheels and a front roller (maybe even a roller in the rear also?) would give a more even cut on a lawn with many waves and hills?

jack vines

Bob E

Threads
Probably has to do with how the deck hangs, not all are arranged the same way. I've never had scalping issues with my 38" that only has 2 rear wheels.
A smaller deck will cut more evenly over waves and hills.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can put as many deck wheels on as you like just so long as they are all the same height and don't foul on the mower.