anybody have a dethatcher for their front mount GH???

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
  • / anybody have a dethatcher for their front mount GH???
I've got a spiked/aereating lawn roller that I've already been able to put to use this spring. Clearing out the mat of old lawn clippings is my next step. I have a 2-section, 48" pull behind spike drag that would work but I don't want to damage the grass too much, so I was thinking the dethatcher would be a less brutal tool. I've seen a few pull behind units offered in stores and online, but they seem sorta wimpy - however I've never actually used one so I don't know.:ashamed:

I have a 72" deck on my front mount 721D and I'm contemplating getting a rigid bar dethatcher to mount to the front of the mowing deck. The one that caught my eye that seems sturdy enough and is built to fit my GH is from a company called JRCO. But WOW! are they are expensive! Granted, their units are apparently commercial grade versus casual weekend warrior/homeowner-level dethatchers but still... Does anyone have experience with Jrco and/or it's products??? Any thoughts? Would it be worth it? How often do you recommend dethatching? Do you leave it on the mower all the time or just use it in the Spring??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!:cool:

1mstrb

Threads
Hello;
I have a Jrco Dethatcher as you talk about I bought it about 6 years ago It was about $700.00 and I have had no trouble with it at all I use it every spring and fall the bar I just take off after Im done with my work But it does a very nice Job as Far as parts the local grasshopper dealer has the parts if needed in the six years of use I have had to only replace 3 tines Not to bad But I dethatch about 50 yards a year .Hope this Helps you 1mstrb

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to figure out just what the difference is between the normal unit and the Heavy Duty one? I see the 60" regular selling for around $675 shipped while the HD goes for $725. I only have my property (around 5 acres are actually mowed) so I could probably get by with the standard grade and it would still last me for the rest of my life. LOL. Thanks again.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The HD model has a wider foam filled tire and a wider fork to hold it, 60" model only I think.
I have a 46" model on my Scag Tiger Cub/collection system with a 48" deck, great attachment, makes spring cleanup much easier and faster.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
Looks like a JRCO 60" dethatcher will be in my Hopper's future, but not this season. I have a 2-section spike drag that I use to keep my gravel driveway level and neat looking and I am using this a couple of times a season to rake up the thatch in my lawn. It's works pretty good, but my concern is that it's more brutal on the lawn than a regular dethatcher attachment, but I haven't seen any signs of permanent damage; the grass seems to grow as nice and thick as ever. Also... can you leave a dethatcher hooked up and use it all summer/every mowing or is it overkill and/or potentially damaging??

Anyhow, here's a pic of the set-up I'm using currently:
2-section spikedrag.jpg