ANY KOHLER EXPERTS?

jc56

Threads
Does anyone know where the breather is on a 27hp Courage.It's not in the valve covers....in an engine blowup it shows one under the flywheel.I read a service bulliten from Kohler that said breather elements could cause oil to pass when on hillsides.I have to under fill my Cub 1554 about half way down the add / full mark on the dipstick.If I fill to the top,it will smoke until it lowers itself down to the area.Thanks!:confused2:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Changed one last fall due to that exact problem. Remove engine from Mower, remove oil pan, remove camshaft, the breather is under the camshaft. Install breather according to enclosed directions on repair kit. Reassembly, may require removing valve covers to reseat push rods. Time to complete 3 hours.

jc56

Threads
Hey...thanks!I finally found it in an online manual.I had looked at the manual several times and breezed right over it..lol.Well....it hardly seems worth it for what I have going on,right?:confused2:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The kit comes with a new cover, gasket, mounting screw, new mesh, and new dipstick that drops the full level.

jc56

Threads
Ilengine.Just read your post and have laughed for about 5 straight minutes..lol....still laughing:laughing:!So really....the same result could be achieved by just using the new dipstick,right?Like I say,if I just don't fill to the top,leave it about a third down in add area on stick,it's fine.If I fill it to the top,it will smoke for a lap or two around the yard and then it's ok.I still think that's funny about that dipstick:laughing:Thanks for the good info man!!!jc

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
jc56 First off the orginal repair kit didn't include the new dipstick, and they still has problems with some units smoking. the original breather assy would allow pooling of oil in the breather and just lowering the oil level didn't fix the problem of smoking on slopes.

the original setup didn't include a breather gasket, the fiber mesh is a different pore size, and the new dipstick drops the oil level like 10 ounces, which would be like running the engine at the add mark not just 1/3 way down.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Did you know koehler really has posted info that dip sticks need to be changed to the new design because the other ones do not seal ( rubber gasket ) and they vibrate out causing oil leaks & seized engines ?
2011-2012 service bulletin.

jc56

Threads
No...I haven't seen that bulliten...I try to find all that I can.I really haven't worried a lot about that issue since it really has not gave me a lot of trouble....just curoius as to what really caused it.It's good to kinda know what is going on there.If you can send that link...I would like to see it.Thanks man!jc

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Searched for a specific service bulletin but didn't find it. There is a little blurp about the dipstick changes in the kohler 2011-2012 update manual.

Went from two sealing o rings because of hard to remove. Then because the single o ring allowed the dipstick to wobble they added a stabilizer ring to hold it more secure. Says nothing about them coming out, or leaking.

If you can find the SB number I would appeciate it.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Kohler just mailed the binder insert to our shop .
Covers all the screw up parts that Kohler gets from vendors - head gaskets to dip sticks .