Any John Deere 68 owners out there?

Good stuff! They're great little machines and will last forever. What you can't replace you can fix with a hammer or welder. It looks like the shifter knob is missing. I don't see that you can buy that anymore, but you should replace it with something or you'll wear a hole in your hand. Those are awkward shifting gearboxes.

Yellr, does it look like the grass height adjustment knob? or something different?
 
Yellr, does it look like the grass height adjustment knob? or something different?

The knob is like a ball about 2" in diameter, flat on the top and bottom and presses onto the handle. But any plastic knob or hand-grip that fits would be better than what you've got.
 
I am looking for parts for our JD 68 and am having troubles even finding a salvage yard that has the rear differential still in tact. Looking for Part # M49004, AM101247 or AM134983. I know they aren't making these parts any longer, but this is is pride and joy and would appreciate any assistance andyone can provide me with.

Thank you!!
 
Just what parts do you need? I have one that I have been running over 30 years. In that time I installed a short block, 8 HP Briggs because of oil burning. I have found that some parts aren't available but not all, just check with your John Deere dealer. This pass fall I had to reweld some brackets on the deck and installed a used carburetor which I bought at a salvage yard. I couldn't get a clutch idler pulley from the JD dealer but matched one up at a mower repair shop. I find I can get parts somehow. The old girl is getting a little loose jointed but still mows a haft acre of rough lawn with a lot of rocks every summer.

I am looking for M49004, AM101247 or AM134983 and am struggling to find them because they are no longer available. even tried several salvage yards, would you have any advice?
 
Just what parts do you need? I have one that I have been running over 30 years. In that time I installed a short block, 8 HP Briggs because of oil burning. I have found that some parts aren't available but not all, just check with your John Deere dealer. This pass fall I had to reweld some brackets on the deck and installed a used carburetor which I bought at a salvage yard. I couldn't get a clutch idler pulley from the JD dealer but matched one up at a mower repair shop. I find I can get parts somehow. The old girl is getting a little loose jointed but still mows a haft acre of rough lawn with a lot of rocks every summer.

Hi

Thought you might be able to offer some advice as you are managing to keep your one going. My Dad has a John Deere 68 & he is looking for gearbox parts. We have tried John Deere & some dismantle mower parts places without any luck.

My Dad is looking for parts AM36110 & AM36111, which are small plastic retainers
inside the gearbox. I have photo's if anyone needs to see what they are.


The gearbox that this mower has is a Foote gearbox, but I believe it is
interchangeable with a Peerless transmission which is numbered AM37434 for the
transmission ( sub for AM35523) or (sub AM38286) Foote

Also AM38286 Kit Peerless complete transmission, which includes parts to replace a
Foote to a Peerless transmission.

Ideally we would just like the retainers, as that is the only part that has failed, but we would consider a whole gearbox.

Please advise if know of any suitable substitute.
 
i live up in saskatchewan canada and i just bought a good looking 68 recently. i just put an ad out on the local trading post and so far 3 people have contacted me since yesterday with old 68's they having all runners and look not bad. just a suggestion throw out some ads on your local internet buy and sell.
working great for me so far.
my wife is not overly excited with my little hobby lol
 
Back
Top