Another project for my 17yr old, a Basket case 245 no spark

Hitechluddite

Threads
  • / Another project for my 17yr old, a Basket case 245 no spark
We traded a pickup load of firewood for this. Previous owner says it has an oil leak somewhere around the oil filter and he started to remove the engine to effect repair but then decided to buy a new kubota and just pushed the JD to a corner of the garage where it sat for a couple years. #1 son re attached the motor to the frame and re connected all the wires with the exception of one of one wire coming from the coil shown in the picture. This wire measures .9 ohms to ground and we checked continuity as we rotated the motor by hand and saw some deviation in the continuity. Checking from the coil wire to the coil pickup housing is 9.8K ohms. Looking at the wiring harness and parts manuals I can't tell where this wire would go and there is nothing within reach of the existing harness for it to connect to. Any help Much appreciated!
Serial Number is M00245B162039

Attachments

• 245 engine.jpg
    245 engine.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 26

100 td

Threads
Ignitor module, sans points

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
do you still have the blower housing on the engine? Appears to be a Kawasaki engine though the Model number will be a great help to us and you, Kawasaki models are usually characterized like this, "FC290V-DS08" or "FR61V-AS13"

Hitechluddite

Threads
Its a Kawasaki engine FC420V-FS00 Which is about the sam engine as the one in our 170.
Is there a way to check the igniter?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Not seeing a FS00 type, however some other member may be able to deduce the type as they have a little more access than me. and neither of the following are showing a igniter being used.
1614219618021.png

try unplugging the kill wire from the ignition COIL and check spark.

Last edited:

100 td

Threads
Its a Kawasaki engine FC420V-FS00 Which is about the sam engine as the one in our 170.
Is there a way to check the igniter?
Do you have one? The parts list I previously found shows one, however many coils, especially later and after market have ignitor built into coil. As previously mentioned, disconnect all wires from coil and see if you get spark.

Hitechluddite

Threads
View attachment 55552

try unplugging the kill wire from the ignition COIL and check spark.
I tried disconnecting the White wire at the coil then reconnected and disconnected at the Y in the harness no spark in either case. I think the 9.8 K ohms between the plug wire and coil body is reasonable so the coil should be good? That white wire is at gnd and the way I read the attached ign running diagram I don't think it should be at ground. Anybody know if this will crank if the safety circuit interlocks are not in the proper state? The deck and the PTO clutch are off the mower. The seat and Clutch interlocks are working because it won't crank without them set properly.

Attachments

• ign gnd.pdf
    168.9 KB · Views: 17
  • ign running.pdf
    357.8 KB · Views: 6

Hitechluddite

Threads
We found the problem now to find the part!!!
I guess it would be called an igniter but that comes up with nothing in a part search the local John Deere dealer has them but they want 100 bucks for one!!! Anybody know what it’s called or better yet a part number so I can try to order one onlineIGNITER.jpg

Last edited:

100 td

Threads
Try reading post #2 and post #6, your answers are there, then look online for one.