Another example of Facebook idiocy

smhardesty

Threads
I might be getting close to deleting my Facebook account. At the least, I might stop advertising stuff for sale on Marketplace. In the past week, I have been hammered by crap like what you see below. I lost count, but I received at least a dozen messages just like this one. Yeah, I'm sure that I want to reply to "Fouhe Uybcs Ckit" and allow him to mine my data. I'm barely able to hold off on sending an immediate reply. LOL! I no longer respond to any message that uses one of the canned responses, like this jerk did with the "Hello, is this still available?" canned message. I also now check EVERY profile before I reply. Unless I see "friends" that I recognize or that my wife recognizes, no reply from me. Old, "Fouhe" has no friends and lists nothing at all in the "About" section of his profile.

I still want to know why Facebook seems completely unable to do anything about crap like this, but if I post up something a little too conservative for them, I get hammered with 10 to 15 minutes, Does that seem strange to any of you guys? One of the things I get placed in Facebook jail for is referring to Biden as "The Idiot". If I post that, I can expect some type of warning within 15 minutes. But, these guys do this type of crap all day, everyday, and Facebook seems unable, or unwilling, to do a thing about it. I always report this crap to Facebook using their method of reporting such things as seen in the bottom screenshot, but nothing is ever done.

Screenshot_2023-04-19_11-40-56.png

Screenshot_2023-04-19_11-41-18.png

Screenshot_2023-04-19_11-41-35.png

Screenshot_2023-04-19_12-56-12.png

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Join the crowd. Face Trash is nothing but a life waster.

smhardesty

Threads
Join the crowd. Face Trash is nothing but a life waster.
You're absolutely correct. Until I created this account I have now, I had NEVER had an account with any of the social diseases websites. That's all those places are - social diseases. The only reason I created this account was because I'd get 100 times more exposure using a Facebook page versus a website. I could very easily create a site. I used to create and manage sites for small businesses in my area. I'm going to say that if I gave my website address to 100 people, either word of mouth or on a business card, less than 10 would ever bother checking my site. To be perfectly honest, I really think it would be less than 5 people, but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

The other reason was to offer my refurbished equipment for sale on Marketplace, but then you get the type of crap you see in my original post. When I logged in just a few minutes ago, I noticed I had another message in Facebook Messenger. Take a look below at what that jerk posted. Yeah, same twit, new message. Now, keep in mind that the listing he is responding to is a generic type ad I put together that shows 4 string trimmers, 3 McCullochs and 1 Hyper Tough. The 3 are priced at $135 each and the Hyper Tough is priced at $50. That's a total of $455 for 4 trimmers. I have each of them listed individually with the prices in other listings, so decided to try and get more exposure on all the different classifieds I post on by creating that listing with all 4 trimmers pictured.

Then, note his last stupid comment. "Really need to get my yard done"? Seriously? And 4 string trimmers will allow him to do that? I have reported him twice. Facebook has done NOTHING. I tried listing on Craig's List and got even more idiotic responses than on Facebook. One message just burned my butt. I have the 4 trimmers listed together just like on Facebook. I put a $1 price, then in the description I gave the prices for each trimmer. The response was supposedly some woman in Southern Illinois. "She" wanted to know how much for all, then followed up with an offer of $0.90. Yes, 90 freaking cents, for $455 worth of trimmers. I'd tell you what I replied, but I can't use that type of language on this forum. LOL! It was NOT pretty. Oh, and I'm not allowed to post up what I call Facebook, but it includes a 4 letter "F" word. LOL!

Screenshot_2023-04-19_16-41-13.png

LeoNatriy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi! It's frustrating to deal with spam and unwanted messages on Facebook, and I agree about privacy and the inability to get a satisfactory response from Facebook, but I hope it will get better. Facebook should improve its systems to address these issues more effectively. I like Facebook, especially for the possibility of buying cheap Facebook likes. Anyway, I hope your issue gets fixed!

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Opinions are like butt holes everyone got one.

The closest I get to social media is these forums. I don't advertise other than word of mouth and referrals. I quit trying to sell things when everyone that came in insulted me by making low ball offers. It not just what you seen on Facebook it happens even at local shops. I just repair things now and sell a few parts.

And trend here was coming in the middle of the night demanding to fix things. Well I came with a solution that they don't like but it gets their attention. That is if you want after hours service you pay an extra 50%. Beside that idiot came by beting on door at 2 am is the one that broke the camel's back by placing one more straw on his back.

I get frustrated enough on these forums of all the ones that have no idea of what they even got but someone gifted them handful of tools and now they think are professionals. Anyone that tells they know about what they are working on are idiots in my opinion.

Whoever is the president at any time is just more of scapegoat for all of the other nuts in Washington DC. What worst is that we currently have a none functioning Congress. If it weren't things already place we would be getting no where fast.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I quit trying to sell on craigslist and fake book long ago. Too many scammers and idiots. I have a website for my mower business but I had to remove my email address to stop the stupid questions from folks acting like I was a help forum or questions like "my mower won't start. How much to fix it?"

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I quit trying to sell on craigslist and fake book long ago. Too many scammers and idiots. I have a website for my mower business but I had to remove my email address to stop the stupid questions from folks acting like I was a help forum or questions like "my mower won't start. How much to fix it?"
So I am not the only that get those stupid questions. I usually I tell the customer the equipment has to come in the shop for a diagnosis. Most of the ones I deal with on the phone are just wanting me tell what is wrong so they can fix it themselves. I do not give away free local advice as I have some of the local are sending spies over just so can figure what with machine that they have no idea what is wrong.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have certain good customers I will try to help over the phone but not any others. I tell them i have to see it to give an estimate. 99% of my customers are really good and i don't have to deal with too much dumb since I took my email off the website.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I had a web page when I got free web space as part of the ASDL package.
Ran it for roughly a year before deleting it .
I also tried Face Book for about 2 months
Again only totally brain dead idiots from well out of my service foot print so it went as well.
and yes
Social media = social disease

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Opinions are like butt holes everyone got one.

The closest I get to social media is these forums. I don't advertise other than word of mouth and referrals. I quit trying to sell things when everyone that came in insulted me by making low ball offers. It not just what you seen on Facebook it happens even at local shops. I just repair things now and sell a few parts.

And trend here was coming in the middle of the night demanding to fix things. Well I came with a solution that they don't like but it gets their attention. That is if you want after hours service you pay an extra 50%. Beside that idiot came by beting on door at 2 am is the one that broke the camel's back by placing one more straw on his back.

I get frustrated enough on these forums of all the ones that have no idea of what they even got but someone gifted them handful of tools and now they think are professionals. Anyone that tells they know about what they are working on are idiots in my opinion.

Whoever is the president at any time is just more of scapegoat for all of the other nuts in Washington DC. What worst is that we currently have a none functioning Congress. If it weren't things already place we would be getting no where fast.
Star Tech-
So you will work on equipment “after hours emergency “ repair for 50% more than normal hourly rate? That customer that beat on your door at 2:00 am should be banned from doing business with you. I have found that for a small pod customers, if you give them an inch, they will gladly take it. However, if you professionally and firmly stand your ground, they will either concede, or go elsewhere. I want reasonable customers, not ones that think I am at their beck and call.