Another Backpack Blower Question

Lb1878

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ric, are you sure you don't work for stihl? :wink: just joking. I did not see that chart and it is rather interesting to see some comparisons and fuel consumption numbers. Thank you for sharing it. It makes more sense why everyone recommends the br600. Just curious, where did you find that chart?

Mad Mackie, you make a very valid point and I have been trying to come up with an argument and I am struggling. I can see going with the best is going to be expensive lol but worth it in the end.

Looks like I'm off to the local dealer tomorrow. Any specific questions I should be asking? Forgive me for being a complete newb. I appreciate everyone's time and patience with yet another blower question. I know there have been several questions about blowers posted before but most of them related to folks who ran a landscaping company. At the end of the day, it still seems like the right choice.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric, are you sure you don't work for stihl? :wink: just joking. I did not see that chart and it is rather interesting to see some comparisons and fuel consumption numbers. Thank you for sharing it. It makes more sense why everyone recommends the br600. Just curious, where did you find that chart?

Mad Mackie, you make a very valid point and I have been trying to come up with an argument and I am struggling. I can see going with the best is going to be expensive lol but worth it in the end.

Looks like I'm off to the local dealer tomorrow. Any specific questions I should be asking? Forgive me for being a complete newb. I appreciate everyone's time and patience with yet another blower question. I know there have been several questions about blowers posted before but most of them related to folks who ran a landscaping company. At the end of the day, it still seems like the right choice.

The Chart is on the Stihl site. I thought it was rather interesting to see and compare fuel consumption. The Fuel consumption data provided by a third party independent laboratory: IAVF Antriebstechnik GmbH, not Stihl, and no I don't work for Stihl:smile: I knew I was going to be buying at least three if not four blowers for the business and for me it was about the cost at the end of the year or bottom line so to speak. So I didn't look at the out the door price tag, I had to look at the overall expenditure for the year. It's my opinion that Stihl has, all things considered are the best blowers on the market for the money you'll spend.

Object moved

Stihl Fuel Efficient Backpack Blower | Green Industry Pros

Last edited:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
For years I used a Stihl SH 86 hand held with vac attachment and it was a good unit. A local lawn guy had stopped by asking me if I could do an emergency repair to his Scag Turf Tiger had two BR 600s on his trailer and I tried one and when comparing it to my SH 86, it was day and night difference.
As a mechanic, retired now, I look at specs. The Stihl BR 500, BR 550 and BR 600 all have the same displacement engine, but different HP ratings. To achieve this, the carbs are smaller or a HP plate is installed limiting the incoming air flow to the engine and thus reducing the HP. Almost all small engine manufacturers price engines based on HP, more HP means higher price. I tried several other makes of blowers, all of which had great air flows, but were too heavy for me to wear and use for several hours at a time.
As for fuel consumption, my BR 600 uses less fuel per hour than my SH 86 two stroke blower.
I use Star Tron fuel and a carbon softening additives in all my mixed fuel units and I have removed the screens from the mufflers.
I'm down to a 2-3 day week in season having dropped seven properties all belonging to the same owner who was a constant pain when it came to getting paid!!! Two of these properties have large parking areas and frequently had trash, garbage, cans and bottles from the lazy renters!!!!
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Last edited:

Lb1878

Forum Newbie
Threads
Again, thank you for taking the time providing feedback and dealing with my rookie questions. When I first saw the br600, my first impression was overkill. I have a 1/4 acre, why do I need a professional grade blower? I also noticed that many of the landscaper companies are running echo blowers around here. I'm actually curious why I don't see many Stihl blowers?

I was speaking to my father in law who is on 3.5 acres and he has a stilhl handheld. He said it was overkill for me to get anything more. I mentioned the chart that ric posted about fuel consumption and he even stepped back a bit. I am hoping I will be able to keep whatever I purchase for many years. I am not looking to buy another as I won't be using it as much as you pro's do. That is wishful thinking of course. I am tired of buying the prosumer line of tools and such. I've seen the light and value in spending more up front for the longevity. You just have to learn to crawl before you walk. This forum has helped me understand that more so thank you.

Lb1878

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thought I'd send a quick update and let you all know that I wound up pulling the trigger on the br600 magnum. I strongly debated getting the model below but thought better of it. What a powerhouse this thing is.

I was talking with the salesman about the gutter accessory and it's compatibility with this model. He mentioned that diameter of the tube is the exact same as the tube on the handheld models. I've read that the backpacks are not compatible with the gutter accessory. Being as though the diameter of the tube is the same on the backpack and handheld, does that now make it compatible? Has anyone tried this?

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
When the wet leaves fly out of the gutter and down onto you, then you will rethink!!! I had the gutter attachment for my Stihl 86, but found that I still had to get up on the roof or a ladder to clean the gutters. I used my BR 600 for an hour yesterday, great machine!!

magbarn

Threads
Love love my BR 600. Been using her non-stop since 2008. I picked it over the Husky/Shindy/Red/Echo at the time as it was much lighter. There's more powerful 2 stroke blowers out now, but they burn through gas even faster than the models circa 2008. Just stick to a good quality oil like Amsoil Saber or Stihl Ultra. It's what I run on my 4 mix machines and haven't had to do a decarbon or nor have I had valve issues yet.