Another Backpack Blower Question

Lb1878

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been reading up on backpack blowers for weeks now. I have no clue which way to go in terms of manufacturer. I have learned that it's about cfm and not mph. I am lost cc wise and how it corresponds to cfm.

I have a 1/4 acre and will be using the blower for cleaning up the driveway and street after mowing as well as moving a good amount of leaves in the fall. I've been using an electric toro for a few years and it takes too long to clear the leaves in the fall. After the fact, I've learned that it's smarter to spend more early on then spending the same smaller amount multiple times on landscaping equipment.

So I'm ready to put on my big boy shoes and get a backpack blower. I was looking to be in the $300-$400 price range if possible. A stihl br600 or similar is likely overkill. From what I can tell, stihl seems to require the most maintenance which concerns me as it's not my strong point. I have no problem changing the plugs and filters but beyond that is unchartered territory.

What is recommended for my needs? Is 400 cfm going to cut it? I am expecting this purchase to be a considerable upgrade from what I have now. Thanks in advance!

Nwatson99

Threads
I have been reading up on backpack blowers for weeks now. I have no clue which way to go in terms of manufacturer. I have learned that it's about cfm and not mph. I am lost cc wise and how it corresponds to cfm.

I have a 1/4 acre and will be using the blower for cleaning up the driveway and street after mowing as well as moving a good amount of leaves in the fall. I've been using an electric toro for a few years and it takes too long to clear the leaves in the fall. After the fact, I've learned that it's smarter to spend more early on then spending the same smaller amount multiple times on landscaping equipment.

So I'm ready to put on my big boy shoes and get a backpack blower. I was looking to be in the $300-$400 price range if possible. A stihl br600 or similar is likely overkill. From what I can tell, stihl seems to require the most maintenance which concerns me as it's not my strong point. I have no problem changing the plugs and filters but beyond that is unchartered territory.

What is recommended for my needs? Is 400 cfm going to cut it? I am expecting this purchase to be a considerable upgrade from what I have now. Thanks in advance!

Say what??
I have a Stihl weed eater 14 years old and 1 spark plug, 1 set of air filters, and 1 carb is it other than gas a string added.
Got a 029 farm boss also 14 years old, 1 spark plug and 1 air filter, I would clean the air filter couple of times per year and just replaced it few years ago.
Both units the plugs did not go out, I just replaced them.
Run the Stihl ultra gas mix, good gas 93 octane and you do not worry about Stihl, just start them and run.
Now the Stihl SG86 I would bet has plenty of power for what you need and it is a handheld unit.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

400 cfm is not going to do the job your looking to do. Thr Br 550 Is 500 cfm and the 600 is 712 cfm. If your looking to do or clear your 1/4 acre of leaves you'll need the Br 600 to do the job the fastest. The Br 600 is worth every penny you'll pay for it and it will pay for itself in the long run. Another plus is the Br 600 is the most fuel efficient of all the bigger blowers on the market. I've run all four of my Stihl Back packs for the last eight years and never had an issue with any. If your just interested in a 400 cfm blower try the BR 200 it's I believe 406 cfm @ 132 mph for around $279 as I remember and it's a kick *** little blower and probably do what you want but it will take a lot longer, I'd take it over a hand held unit any day.

Lb1878

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the feedback. I've read many of the blower posts in this forum and on several other forums as well as reviews. I've seen several times that stihl may need a carburetor adjustment which is what I was referencing. Not that it's a deterrent to me but as I noted, I'm not mechanically savvy if you will.

I love your support for stihl products Ric. I'd be curious to see a side by side comparison from you as it seems this isn't your first rodeo. I did stop by the dealer a few weeks ago and he showed me a husqvuarna in the $300 range. At that point, I knew nothing about blowers and wanted to become more knowledgeable so I could make a better informed decision. I didn't want to get pushed into buying something because the markup is better on a product for the dealer.

While the br600 is a beast, I don't know if it's in the budget. They run around $499 or so? I've been looking around at all the landscaping trucks and it looks like many of the, are running echo or redmaxx's. I definitely want something better than the prosumer line of products. I want something that will last and require the lesser amount of maintenance if possible. I also want to know that repairs won't break the bank every time and I am able to have it fixed locally.

Getting the project done in the fastest time is not necessarily as important but I definitely don't want to spend 2+ hours clearing leaves off a quarter acre lol my electric blower was great but I'm ready to cut the cord. I'll have to price out the br600 again. Sure that isn't overkill?

I'd love to hear about maintenance on some of the other manufacturers if possible. Being this is newer to me. I just don't want to bite off more then I can chew. Thanks again!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thank you for the feedback. I've read many of the blower posts in this forum and on several other forums as well as reviews. I've seen several times that stihl may need a carburetor adjustment which is what I was referencing. Not that it's a deterrent to me but as I noted, I'm not mechanically savvy if you will.

I love your support for stihl products Ric. I'd be curious to see a side by side comparison from you as it seems this isn't your first rodeo. I did stop by the dealer a few weeks ago and he showed me a husqvuarna in the $300 range. At that point, I knew nothing about blowers and wanted to become more knowledgeable so I could make a better informed decision. I didn't want to get pushed into buying something because the markup is better on a product for the dealer.

While the br600 is a beast, I don't know if it's in the budget. They run around $499 or so? I've been looking around at all the landscaping trucks and it looks like many of the, are running echo or redmaxx's. I definitely want something better than the prosumer line of products. I want something that will last and require the lesser amount of maintenance if possible. I also want to know that repairs won't break the bank every time and I am able to have it fixed locally.

Getting the project done in the fastest time is not necessarily as important but I definitely don't want to spend 2+ hours clearing leaves off a quarter acre lol my electric blower was great but I'm ready to cut the cord. I'll have to price out the br600 again. Sure that isn't overkill?

I'd love to hear about maintenance on some of the other manufacturers if possible. Being this is newer to me. I just don't want to bite off more then I can chew. Thanks again!

Well knowing the difference between cfm and mph gives you a leg up on a lot of people because many buy using mph which really is nice but it doesn't move debris, cfm/volume does. If the Br 600 is a little more than you want to spend the Br 550 is something like $50 less money and the blower does a nice job all around. I've heard a lot of talk about all the adjustments people are claiming to have to do to the Stihl units but for myself I've run the BR 550 and My br 380 for the last eight years and I've never had to do any adjustment on anything with those. My 600 I purchased at the beginning of the year and it like the 200 have been the same way and I use mine six days a week. The only things I've ever had to do to any of my Stihl units trimmers and edgers as well is spark plugs and air filters and occasionally clean the spark arresting screen.

The nice thing about the Stihl is the fact that you can actually adjust the carb yourself if need be and there manuals explain how or the correct procedure to use, you can't with most of the others without special tools that you can't buy. The other thing I'd warn you about is not to be fooled by some of the cfm and mph speeds that are advertised because alot of the speeds they give you are taken at the housing at not at the end of the pipe. Stihl will give you both in there spec's, without the tube and with tube.

Lb1878

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'd be remiss if I didn't thank you Ric, for pointing out the cfm value over the mph. Is there a typical drop off of cfm's from the housing to the end of the pipe or does it vary by manufacturer? I just don't know what cfm constitutes enough juice for me to move leaves. I'm not so concerned about the driveway and street after mowing. After thatching or blowing the leaves is what I want to lessen my work times.

Are there any other specs that are worth paying attention to?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'd be remiss if I didn't thank you Ric, for pointing out the cfm value over the mph. Is there a typical drop off of cfm's from the housing to the end of the pipe or does it vary by manufacturer? I just don't know what cfm constitutes enough juice for me to move leaves. I'm not so concerned about the driveway and street after mowing. After thatching or blowing the leaves is what I want to lessen my work times.

Are there any other specs that are worth paying attention to?

Yes there is a drop off in cfm from the housing to the pipe on all blowers, it doesn't matter who makes it.. The Stihl is 1012 cfm @ the housing and at the pipe it's 712. Keep something in mind and I don't know if you have ever used a BackPack or not but if you were using an electic toro moving to the Br 600 is going to be a huge difference. If your concerned about having enough power the BR 600 will give you a ton more than your toro. Just to give you an idea, my driveway is 36 ft long and 26 ft wide and with the BR 600 I can stand in one corner of the drive and clear the entire drive without moving a step with no problem so moving across the drive takes literally no time.. I don't know if would make any difference to you or not or if you have seen this chart but I think it's something to pay a little attention too.

Fuel
Consumption
(fl. oz. / hr)
Running Time
in min / 1 qt of
Fuel (min)
Annual Fuel
Expenditure
Savings when
you use
STIHL BR 600
Echo PB 770 T51.937$1,156.40$193.85
Echo PB 755 S52.436.6$1,167.54$204.99
Husqvarna 570 BTS52.636.5$1,171.99$209.44
Husqvarna 580 BTS59.432.3$1,323.51$360.96
RedMax EBZ 850059.832.1$1,332.42$369.87
STIHL BR 60043.244.5$962.55

Last edited:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the weight of a backpack blower is of concern to you, then the Stihl BR 600 is the lightest with the most output. I looked at a few two stroke blowers when I bought my BR 600 and all were too heavy for this old man, I'm over 70, but was 65 when I bought my BR 600. Stihl makes several smaller back packs in two stroke, but just don't have the huff and puff of the BR 600. I had a Stihl 86 hand held which is a good unit for a hand held, but I retired it when I bought the BR 600 and reduced my blower time to less than half.
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you spend $300 on a unit that doesn't do the job and eventually upgrade to a $500 unit that does the job, then do the math and determine how much education costs!!!

edd

Threads
i have a br 600 but wanted a smaller backpack for smaller jobs and picked up a ryobi backpsack at home depot...i like it and at 200 dollars it was well priced.....so far am pleased with everything ryobi that i have which includes a 100 dollar blower/ vac i use for hedge cleanup