Am I able to adjust Kohler 7400 V twin valves slightly tighter for performance? It is pretty sluggish accelerating from idle to max speed.

Craftsman Garage

Threads
  • / Am I able to adjust Kohler 7400 V twin valves slightly tighter for performance? It is pretty sluggish accelerating from idle to max speed.
What do you think?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Am I able to adjust Kohler 7400 V twin valves slightly tighter for performance? It is pretty sluggish accelerating from idle to max speed.
Cams in these mower engines are so small, think you are barking up the wrong tree. These are low rev Diesel like engines. Put the valves in factory spec and look elsewhere for your slow revs. As in 97% of all complaints are dirty carbs and or neglected fuel systems.

To more directly answer your question, you should never be at a low/slow 1750rpm like idle. Unless your engine is water cooled with full pressure lube and oil filter. These are not car engines. They are made to immediately go from 0 to 3600rpm all day long. Briggs states for MAX engine life and durability, run at MAX revs ALL THE TIME. At low revs you get way reduced air cooling and lubrication. Slam her at 3600 and never look back.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
What do you think?
Also get as close to perfect on specs when adjusting valves. I have found many people do not even know the valves need to be adjusted.