aluminum wheels (?) & winter tire questions

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
Wanted to ask if anyone out there knows if there are aluminum wheels available to fit the Grasshopper? I've looked at a lot of ATV wheels, many of them very sharp-looking, but I can't find any that are the right size (8x6 with a 5x4.5" bolt pattern). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am considering buying a second set of wheels and mounting a pair of Carlisle All-Terrain tires (love these on my John Deere!) as my summer set-up and keeping my lugged chevron tires for winter only. If I do, I'm considering putting ice screws on the chevron lugs for better ice & snow traction rather than chains. Ice screws work great on my dirt bike and don't rattle or wear out like chains and are easier (and cheaper) to replace, so I think they'd be good for extra traction when plowing snow as well. Not really sure yet... just thinking out loud.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

BWH

Threads
I've often thought about ice screws rather than chains, what do you use for the screws?
I have to guess that they are made from very hard steel.
Where do your get them from?

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
I've read where some fellas just use hardware store screws, but those obviously aren't designed for that specific purpose and therefore don't last very long. Dennis Kirk and other online retailers of motorcycle merchandise sell ice screws. Here's one online store I found in a Google search, KoldKutter, and that's all they do: sell specially designed and hardened screws developed just for traction on ice.

https://koldkutter.com/catalog/products.php?osCsid=16cf5575421a6fcdafa6350c538a8f61

There's a Canadian outfit I found TIRECHAINS.COM and their product line should be pretty obvious. ;-) However, a pair of really top-quality heavy-duty chains (they look very nice) runs 250 bucks! A 1000 count bag of ice screws from Kold Kutter costs $72 ($21 for 250 screws). That should be more than enough to cove all the bar treads plus lots of extras to replace the occasional screw that breaks. I cannot vouch for ANY product from anybody since I've never used them nor do I know anyone around where I live that does. I need to do some additional research first.

My thinking is that if I have a separate set-up for both mowing and snow clearing then the winter tires can have the screws because I'll switch them out come spring time so there's no worry about tearing up the lawn or damaging my driveway, etc. I just would rather avoid the hassle of putting on & taking off chains every winter. I've read about guys having problems with getting chains that are sturdy enough to last for very pong,but I don't want to cough up $100 plus every time one breaks or wears out. Another thought is that both sets of wheels/tires would last twice as long because they'd each only get used for half the year instead of year round. ...Like I said, I'm just thinking out loud and mulling over multiple options.

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
I've about where some fellas just use hardware store screws, but those obviously aren't designed for that specific purpose and therefore don't last very lomng. Dennis Kirk and other online retailers of motorcycle merchandise sell ice screws. Here's one online store I found in a Google search, KoldKutter, and that's all they do: sell specially designed and hardened screws developed just for traction on ice.

https://koldkutter.com/catalog/products.php?osCsid=16cf5575421a6fcdafa6350c538a8f61

There's a Canadian outfit I found TIRECHAINS.COM and their product line should be pretty obvious. ;-) However, a pair of really top-quality heavy-duty chains (they look very nice) runs 250 bucks! A 1000 count bag of ice screws from Kold Kutter costs $72 ($21 for 250 screws). That should be more than enough to cover all the bar treads plus lots of extras to replace the occasional screw that breaks. I cannot vouch for ANY product from anybody since I've never used them nor do I know anyone around where I live that does. I need to do some additional research first.

My thinking is that if I have a separate set-up for both mowing and snow clearing then the winter tires can have the screws because I'll switch them out come spring time so there's no worry about tearing up the lawn or damaging my driveway, etc. I just would rather avoid the hassle of putting on & taking off chains every winter. I've read about guys having problems with getting chains that are sturdy enough to last for very pong,but I don't want to cough up $100 plus every time one breaks or wears out. Another thought is that both sets of wheels/tires would last twice as long because they'd each only get used for half the year instead of year round. ...Like I said, I'm just thinking out loud and mulling over multiple options.

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
I've about where some fellas just use hardware store screws, but those obviously aren't designed for that specific purpose and therefore don't last very lomng. Dennis Kirk and other online retailers of motorcycle merchandise sell ice screws. Here's one online store I found in a Google search, KoldKutter, and that's all they do: sell specially designed and hardened screws developed just for traction on ice.

There's a Canadian outfit I found TIRECHAINS.COM and their product line should be pretty obvious. ;-) However, a pair of really top-quality heavy-duty chains (they look very nice) runs 250 bucks! A 1000 count bag of ice screws from Kold Kutter costs $72 ($21 for 250 screws). That should be more than enough to cover all the bar treads plus lots of extras to replace the occasional screw that breaks. I cannot vouch for ANY product from anybody since I've never used them nor do I know anyone around where I live that does. I need to do some additional research first.

My thinking is that if I have a separate set-up for both mowing and snow clearing then the winter tires can have the screws because I'll switch them out come spring time so there's no worry about tearing up the lawn or damaging my driveway, etc. I just would rather avoid the hassle of putting on & taking off chains every winter. I've read about guys having problems with getting chains that are sturdy enough to last for very long and I'm not about to cough up $100 plus every time one breaks or wears out, winter after winter. Another thought is that both sets of wheels/tires would last twice as long because they'd each only get used for half the year instead of year round. ...Like I said, I'm just thinking out loud and mulling over multiple options.

BWH

Threads
Great website I will look into the Ice screws, I would like to use them on my Bobcat skid loader instead of chains. About the only time I need anything is when we get ice before a snow, I use a snow blower on the skid loader so weight isn't no problem. I have solid rubber tires on the skid loader so don't have to worry about air problems. Thanks!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Wanted to ask if anyone out there knows if there are aluminum wheels available to fit the Grasshopper? I've looked at a lot of ATV wheels, many of them very sharp-looking, but I can't find any that are the right size (8x6 with a 5x4.5" bolt pattern). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am considering buying a second set of wheels and mounting a pair of Carlisle All-Terrain tires (love these on my John Deere!) as my summer set-up and keeping my lugged chevron tires for winter only. If I do, I'm considering putting ice screws on the chevron lugs for better ice & snow traction rather than chains. Ice screws work great on my dirt bike and don't rattle or wear out like chains and are easier (and cheaper) to replace, so I think they'd be good for extra traction when plowing snow as well. Not really sure yet... just thinking out loud.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

If you own or know someone with a lathe it wouldn't be that hard to make a adapter to fit the bolt pattern of different wheels. Have any machine shops around you that dose custom work?

BWH

Threads
I had a retired machinist who was boarded that turned down a widener plate 1" for additional chain clearance, he also made a 4-bolt to 5 bolt adapter plate. both looked like factory equipment.

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
Looking hard now at some different options for tires for both the summer/mowing season and the winter/plowing season... (all of these pics can be clicked on to enlarge) :)

SUMMER TIRES:

I have a set of Carlisle All-Terrains on my JD GT235. They work great. The stock turf tires were useless on side hills and any sort of loose soil or mud. The Carlisles made my Deere go from slipping to gripping with nothing more than the tire change. Tire has 6ply carcass, so it's been great at resisting punctures and should wear for a looong time. Best price I've seen is about $85/ea. Considering these as the summer tire option #1
Carlisle All-Terrain 22x11x10.jpg

Second summer tire option is the Duro Desert/X-Count​ry. This is a very similar pattern to the Carlisle and it's also a 6ply tire. $67+14 s/h so it comes out about the same as the Carlisle...
Duro Desert 22x11x10.jpg

Third sumer tire I'm looking at is a Nanco N244 Desert. 6ply like the other two but the biggest bonus is that it's only $68 shipped...
Nanco 22x11x10.jpg

WINTER TIRES:

First up is my favorite of the two. It's a company I've never heard of before, Trac Gard (model TL N686 All Terrain). 4ply carcass and price is $68 w/FREE shipping. I would be installing ice screws in the solid sections of tread in the center...
Trac Gard 22x11x10.jpg

Other winter tire option is a knock-off of the Kenda Bear Claw ATV tire from a company called VRM, (model 189 Grizzly). No solid cleat sections for ice screws, but the good news is that it's a 6 Ply carcass, so it should wear better on ice. Best price I've found is $90 w/FREE shipping.
VRM 189 Grizzly 22x11x10.jpg

The stock chevons my 721D came with are already showing a surprising amount of wear from just this winter's snowthrowing duties. I was kind of stunned to see the hard edges already wearing down to a rounded profile. Not sure what ply these stock tires are? Anyhow, my solution is to go with either 4ply + ice screws OR a stiffer 6ply tire by itself and see how they hold up. If anyone has personal experience with any of these tires or brands on their mowers please reply.

BTW... all of these are for the larger 10" GH rims, which means I'd have to buy 4 new rims and sell my current 8 inch rims. Ugh! Too mad no one makes these nice tires in 8" rim size. LOL. Oh well.

BWH

Threads
Your right on the Chevron lug type tires they do wear quickly on cement/asphalt surfaces, when I had my first set I would turn around on the drive area a lot so I didn't have to be as careful turning in the grass. Well that only took a couple of seasons to grind them off, after that I turn in the grass with my new tires and they hardly show any wear.

I can see how spinning sliding and turning throughout the winter could take its toll.

I am not familiar with any of the tires you listed but the only caution I would have is the heavy ply tires on a pickup (10 ply) don't do so well on ice or packed snow seems like their just to rigid to bit at all. I'm sure they would wear great but there's always tradeoffs.