Aluminum cylinders and piston rings

I like to use the hottest water that I can keep my hand in while using a scrubber. Then use hot water to rinse multiple times.
 
All right, I'll rethink scrubbing in Kerosene and simple soap & water bath. Other fellow stressed 'hot water' and lots of scrubbing also, then use paper towel to check for residual grit until it wipes clean.
I'll admit I've not been that diligent. One wash and I usually let it go.
What about using the dishwasher prior to assembly?
 
Forget the Kerro.
Hot soapy water, degreaser that is what you use on bores.
Rinse in hot water then get a white cotton rag, press it hard against the cylinder wall and run it through the bore in one direction then look at the rag.
If it ain't clean wash again. If it is clean run the rag through in the opposite direction and check again.
I use white cotton conservators gloves ( not coarse garden gloves ) to do the testing.
Also make sure the ring grooves & lands are clean.
 
Back
Top