Export thread

Alternator not charging battery

TrayWay143

TrayWay143

The wires comin from the alternator are two black wires going to a quick connector to two yellow wires going to a metal box type of thing. Then a red wire coming off the box i have going to the battery side of the starter solenoid.

R

Rivets

This manual will help you identify and diagnose your charging system. https://www.briggsandstratton.com/c...a/en_us/Files/FAQs/alternator_replacement.pdf

TrayWay143

TrayWay143

This manual will help you identify and diagnose your charging system. https://www.briggsandstratton.com/c...a/en_us/Files/FAQs/alternator_replacement.pdf
I found the one but on my mower i completely redid the wiring and the manual just say to hook to the wiring equipment harness

R

Rivets

I’m not going to be much help, as I’ve got no idea how you redid the wiring. Best I can tell you is find your charging system in the manual and slow trace your wires to March the diagram.

StarTech

StarTech

The wires comin from the alternator are two black wires going to a quick connector to two yellow wires going to a metal box type of thing. Then a red wire coming off the box i have going to the battery side of the starter solenoid.
Did you make sure the regulator case is grounded the engine/frame?

TrayWay143

TrayWay143

I’m not going to be much help, as I’ve got no idea how you redid the wiring. Best I can tell you is find your charging system in the manual and slow trace your wires to March the diagram.
I basically got rid of all the wiring and only wired the wires that were absolutely necessary to run/drive the mower. Example, got rid of the safety switches.

TrayWay143

TrayWay143

I dont have the original wiring harness so what would i connect the red output wire too?

Attachments

R

Rivets

If it has a DCV output of 13.6 it will go to the battery for charging. I’m glad to see that you took the time to read the manual I posted and understand the charging system the charging system for your unit. I hope you understand why safety systems should not be disabled.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

If it has a DCV output of 13.6 it will go to the battery for charging. I’m glad to see that you took the time to read the manual I posted and understand the charging system the charging system for your unit. I hope you understand why safety systems should not be disabled.
When people “rewire” equipment, it makes it rather difficult in down the road for the next person working on it. I worked on a Yazoo Kees last year that had no less than 14 wires that were not connected to anything. Never did figure that one out, and start it by jumping solenoid.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

It's funny how folks that get a "free" mower off the side of the road don't want to pay me $40/hr to try and figure out the hacked up wiring. Usually a mess of black tape and wire nuts.

R

Rivets

TrayWay, please read the thread entitled “wiring diagram”.

TrayWay143

TrayWay143

Well most of the wireing was mangled from the previous owner so i just redid it all but ill hook it to the battery and see it it charges