Alternative oil other than Brigss and stratton

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
The oldest used car remedy in the book, sawdust. Won't need no stinkin' zinc.

Bob E

Threads
Straight SAE 30 is getting harder and harder to find, but the B&S stuff is in just about every lawn and garden aisle around...

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do you have a rural king near you?

Bob E

Threads
No.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Stens do 2 different lines in SAE 30 mower oils
Optimaa & their house brand about 1/2 to 2/3 the price of B & S branded oil
Go to a mower shop.

Bob E

Threads
:ROFLMAO: Last time I ever went there they acted like they never saw a diaphragm carb before and tried to charge me $50 to order the $10 rebuild kit they told me they had in stock on the phone before I went there.

cruzenmike

Threads
API rating and viscosity are most important. The API rating should be dictated by the equipment or engine manual. Viscosity is dictated by the operating temperature of the motor. I am no chemist or expert, but there is likely a difference between small engine oil formulated for air cooled equipment. This may be the addition or subtraction of different detergents and/or friction modifiers.

Call me a nut but I use Honda oil in Honda engines, Exmark Oil in my Exmark, Cub Cadet oil in my Cub Cadet and Ariens oil in my Ariens. I think you get the picture.

I am still in my 4 year warranty on my Exmark so I only use what the dealer sells me, genuine filter and Exmark 10W40 Synthetic.

My Cut Cadet walk behind string trimmer gets 10W30 which the manufacturer was gone to the lengths of placing a nice sticker right onto the side of the engine.

In my Ariens snow blower they only offer a 5W30 oil from Ariens that is specific to snow equipmen.

Lastly, my Honda push mower is using 10W30 but that is due to the fact that the Honda SAE30 is getting harder to find at Home Depot and other places around me. Otherwise this is what I would use.

In reality, I could probably use just two oils for all of my equipment but I am too particular. I could be wrong but when the engine manufacturer, in this case Honda, Briggs, LCT or whoever is engineering and proving out the reliability and performance of their engine, I would think that they would be using their own oil. Or the opposite could be said, that when Honda or Briggs contracts a refinery or chemical manufacturer to "blend" a specific grade of oil, they would then do their own quality and performance tests in their equipment to ensure its suitability in their products. Either way, sticking OEM oil and most importantly, following scheduled maintenance, is the safest way to go.

If you do not have the choice of OEM oil, find a small engine oil with the correct rating and viscosity and you should also do fine. And for all of this I am speaking for typical, homeowner use. Severe-duty applications might require other types or grades of oil; again, referring to the equipment/engine manufacturer.

I hope that my own "anal" tendencies and opinion might guide you. Good Luck!

Smith97454

Threads
Im liking the Amsoil small engine line in my Gravely. I get some more time per tank and engine temp externally is down 12 degrees. I used to use the Briggs 30w wi

also just did the Hydros and they are much quieter and smoother.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
API rating and viscosity are most important. The API rating should be dictated by the equipment or engine manual. Viscosity is dictated by the operating temperature of the motor. I am no chemist or expert, but there is likely a difference between small engine oil formulated for air cooled equipment. This may be the addition or subtraction of different detergents and/or friction modifiers.

Call me a nut but I use Honda oil in Honda engines, Exmark Oil in my Exmark, Cub Cadet oil in my Cub Cadet and Ariens oil in my Ariens. I think you get the picture.

I am still in my 4 year warranty on my Exmark so I only use what the dealer sells me, genuine filter and Exmark 10W40 Synthetic.

My Cut Cadet walk behind string trimmer gets 10W30 which the manufacturer was gone to the lengths of placing a nice sticker right onto the side of the engine.

In my Ariens snow blower they only offer a 5W30 oil from Ariens that is specific to snow equipmen.

Lastly, my Honda push mower is using 10W30 but that is due to the fact that the Honda SAE30 is getting harder to find at Home Depot and other places around me. Otherwise this is what I would use.

In reality, I could probably use just two oils for all of my equipment but I am too particular. I could be wrong but when the engine manufacturer, in this case Honda, Briggs, LCT or whoever is engineering and proving out the reliability and performance of their engine, I would think that they would be using their own oil. Or the opposite could be said, that when Honda or Briggs contracts a refinery or chemical manufacturer to "blend" a specific grade of oil, they would then do their own quality and performance tests in their equipment to ensure its suitability in their products. Either way, sticking OEM oil and most importantly, following scheduled maintenance, is the safest way to go.

If you do not have the choice of OEM oil, find a small engine oil with the correct rating and viscosity and you should also do fine. And for all of this I am speaking for typical, homeowner use. Severe-duty applications might require other types or grades of oil; again, referring to the equipment/engine manufacturer.

I hope that my own "anal" tendencies and opinion might guide you. Good Luck!

When it is all said & done,
A push mower takes about 500 ml of oil a year so if that oil is $ 2/ L or $ 20 /L it really is not going to make much difference to your wallet
Same sory with a rider, most use 1.5 to 2 L once a year ( at the end of each season ) so again not really going to send you to the poor house either
So if it makes you feel good then go ahead
I do find it funny just how much people stress about saving a few ¢ on mower consumables

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I see Rural King has Kohler 30wt with enhanced zinc for added protection, or so it says on the label. Maybe the motor oil companies are starting to pay attention to the customers?