AL-KO Highline Drive belt replacement

foliarfeed

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am having trouble replacing the drive belt on my AL-KO Highline lawnmower. It should be a simple enough task but it looks as if you have to strip away half the plastic belt guards and rear covers to access the pulleys. It is not obvious how they are attached. Please has anybody experienced belt replacement on this model. I have tried googling, the re is no reference it the task in the AL-KO instructions.
Thanks,,,,,

DQJ999

Forum Newbie
Threads
The key to replacing/refitting the drive belt on my ALKO 46-BR was to remove the drive belt cover, held on by two bolts underneath the mower. It is not obvious how much plastic is attached to this cover! The answer is not very much!

ALKO Pulley Cover.jpg

The photo above shows the cover removed and the studs that hold the cover in place can be seen above and below the belt.
Once the cover is removed you can see the pulley on the drive gearbox. In order to refit the belt you will need to remove the cutting blade. Fit the belt over the drive pulley and then force it onto the pulley on the cutting blade. You may need a flat bladed screwdriver to lever the belt over the pulley. I refitted the blade and then turned it to force the belt over the pulley.

If you are thinking of doing this I would recommend the following steps:

1. Fit a bit of polythene inside the fuel cap to stop the petrol leaking out when you turn the mower on its side.
2. Drain out the oil using an oil draining kit. (May not be essential)
3. Disconnect the spark plug.
4. Turn the mower on its side (with the petrol tank nearest the ground). Check that no fuel or oil is leaking out of the mover.
5. Clean off the dirt underneath the mower with a hose. (Make sure the oil filler and petrol cap are in place).
6. Remove the two bolts holding the cover in place.
7. Remove the cover (expect a mass of grass cuttings to fall out).
8. Remove the cutting blade. NB This is bolted on quite tightly and you will have to bolt it back on equally tightly or the blade may drop off when you restart the mower. (Mine did!)
9. Refit the belt as described above.
10 Ensure that the nut holding the blade is done up very tightly. The engine rotates in the direction that tends to undo the nut!
11. Refit the cover
12. Put the mower back on the level.
13. Replace oil if removed
14. Remove plastic from the fuel cap
15. Re-attach the spark plug.
16. Prime the engine and restart as usual.

Happy mowing!