Engine Air Filter clogs up in short time...Gravely ZT HD60

Gil

Threads
Carb on Kawasaki FR730 is located on rear of mower and with airflow from mower dust and clipping are pulled into the filter pretty heavily. Filter clogs up very fast (about 4-6 hours of mowing). Its a proprietary filter costing about $14, and with no prefilter available for it. I did find one that will fit pretty good so could extend life of filter. Question....thinking of modifying the carb air intake to accept a vertical air intake that would be about 18-24 inches higher. Thus with a higher intake should get cleaner air as be above the debris kicked up by the mower. Anyone out there done such a modification or have another solution? In my opinion it is a very poor design, or maybe a good design to increase sales of air filters. Otherwise its a great mower.

Regards, Gil

Jacked97Ram

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Air Filter clogs up in short time...Gravely ZT HD60
have the same mower got about 15hrs on it filter still looks alright, however i have the power bagger for it so the rear down by the bumper has an attachment plate on it for the bagger holder and i believe this blocks a lot of debris from coming up. just my opinion not sure if you have the bagger but mod to air intake would be pretty sweet