Adjusted valves on Briggs OHV-now it smokes

HMS

Forum Newbie
I adjusted the valves as recommended for a hard to start problem. Now it starts easy but smokes and it didn't before the adjustment.
I adjusted both intake and exhaust at .0006 since that is where a utube video said it should be but now I'm wondering if that is correct.
Could to tight cause the motor to burn oil?

Howard
 
the smaller the gap (tighter) the longer the duration the valve will be open, until the gap reaches 0.00 then the valve will always be partially open. Did you notice any perfomance changes, such as power loss? Did you adjust the valves when the engine was warm or cold? when you removed the valve cover did you spill oil on the engine or exhaust? Did you reuse the old valve cover gasket?
 
I hope you adjusted them to .006 and not .0006. If not reset them to .005. Is the smoke coming out the exhaust pipe or from on top of the muffler?
 
So I found that I had gas in the oil and the valves were good. My float must have stuck and I didn't realize it. Changed oil and all is good.
Can't believe what a difference the valve adjust made for the staring problem.

Howard
 
So I found that I had gas in the oil and the valves were good. My float must have stuck and I didn't realize it. Changed oil and all is good.
Can't believe what a difference the valve adjust made for the staring problem.

Howard

put a in line fuel shut off so this wont happen again ....I would also replace the needle and seat in the carb
 
Back
Top