Adding fuel shutoff valve

ddmoit

Forum Newbie
Threads
I want to add a fuel shutoff valve. Where in the line is the best place to add it? I presume this fuel line is a standard size. Thanks for looking!
IMG_2680.JPG

Last edited:

Gym123

Forum Newbie
Threads
You can install it either before or after the filter. If it were me I’d install it before the filter so I can shut off the fuel when changing the filter.
A hose pinch tool works great if there's no shut off- they don't damage the line unless the line is already brittle.

1727620292093.png

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
A hose pinch tool works great if there's no shut off- they don't damage the line unless the line is already brittle.

View attachment 69750
I have found they are fine for short term use. But if left in place even for a few hours will cause deformation and cracking of the EPA liner, and inner EPA liner separation resulting in restricted fuel flow or plugging of the fuel line at a later period of time with the newer low permeation fuel lines.

Gym123

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have found they are fine for short term use. But if left in place even for a few hours will cause deformation and cracking of the EPA liner, and inner EPA liner separation resulting in restricted fuel flow or plugging of the fuel line at a later period of time with the newer low permeation fuel lines.

Right- I wouldn't leave it pinched for long without knowing the type of fuel line and I would doubt it's actually made for fuel that contains Ethanol. The line seems OK, but the mower is from 2011, if I'm reading the serial number correctly (first six characters are the date, right?)

I had to replace fuel lines on a few of my snow blowers in the past and on many boats because of the Ethanol and it's just cheap insurance.

A tournament ski boat manufacturer sent a service memo to dealers about fuel lines delaminating internally because at the time, MTBE was added and it gave mechanics fits because it really wasn't expected in boats that were only 5 years old (this was in about 1998).

Ethanol in fuel needs to go away.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Right- I wouldn't leave it pinched for long without knowing the type of fuel line and I would doubt it's actually made for fuel that contains Ethanol. The line seems OK, but the mower is from 2011, if I'm reading the serial number correctly (first six characters are the date, right?)

I had to replace fuel lines on a few of my snow blowers in the past and on many boats because of the Ethanol and it's just cheap insurance.

A tournament ski boat manufacturer sent a service memo to dealers about fuel lines delaminating internally because at the time, MTBE was added and it gave mechanics fits because it really wasn't expected in boats that were only 5 years old (this was in about 1998).

Ethanol in fuel needs to go away.
Date code depends on manufacturer. In the case of Kohler they use a unique code to start their year This year serial numbers would start with 54 so say a 46 would be 2016.

Gym123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Date code depends on manufacturer. In the case of Kohler they use a unique code to start their year This year serial numbers would start with 54 so say a 46 would be 2016.
Mine has a Briggs 17.5 HP engine. I was asking about the label under/behind the seat. Engine S/N is in the attachment. I think 13 years of Ethanol is about long enough and since it will take about three minutes to change it....

Attachments

• Engine S N.jpg
    Engine S N.jpg
    607.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Ariens S N.jpg
    Ariens S N.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 1

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
That liner as ILEngine was talking about is super fragile. Most around here are just plain rubber hoses lacking the internal lining. I can't find the liner stuff. Even stretching the liner variety over a hose barb for example will stretch it internally and possibly crack the liner.

I wish some of the more gifted guys, other than me, on here, would post up what the best mower fuel line is. Tygon? Internal EPA lined? I've used that clear cheap, well used to be cheap think is was vinyl aquarium hose from the hardware store as a fuel line. Only removed it because I was scared of a fire on an old truck engine.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have found if I am going to leave the fuel line off the carb for any length of time. I will take a yellow wire nut that is smoothe and plug the fuel line. Works great and not pinching the fuel line.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
@slomo All fuel line used on mowers starting in 2012 have the liner. Early versions were awful. If you twisted the line trying to get it off the fuel filter barb you may pull 6 inches of the liner out with it. Also had issues with the liner coming loose that first couple years resulting in interally collapsed fuel lines.

I have gone through years with without replacing much more than 10-15 foot of fuel line on riders, This year I have replaced 50 foot of the stuff due to inner layers separation. And most of this was the non EPA lines stuff. The inner layer separated from the nylon reinforced layer.