Actually, the front porch IS my topic!

Rocky

Threads
When we built our home 7 years ago, we designed a front porch that just seems a bit blah, but I'm at a loss for ideas. Any suggestions on who I could turn to for help?

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
When we built our home 7 years ago, we designed a front porch that just seems a bit blah, but I'm at a loss for ideas. Any suggestions on who I could turn to for help?

Uhhh.....Martha Stewart?

indypower

Threads
How about Bob Veilla?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads

Pretty hard to give you ideas when you don't give us an idea of how it looks. What kind of house, ranch, two story, whatever? Post a pic of it. For some reason I can never think of a porch on a house other than a big, rambling two story...

I have read that decks on the back of a house are what gradually killed the front porch idea of design for new houses...

AndyMan

Threads
JDGreen is right - it's hard to know what can be changed without a description or picture. Some porches stick out from a house, and others are built right in. The stick-out kind is much easier to tear down and redesign.

As for who to turn to, you may start by driving around looking at other people's porches. Take pictures of ones you like. You could also clip pictures from magazines. If that doesn't help, or if it turns out to be a bigger project than you anticipated, go to a local contractor or home builder for advice and/or professional help with the project.

Hershey

Threads
I have to agree with my fellow forum members. We cannot help you unless you give us more details. You said you designed it but it's blah. Explain!

Lucy

Threads
You could find books and magazines with pictures of homes that resemble yours and get some ideas there. A custom home designer would be a good source of ideas too. Also maybe someone who does remodeling would have some good suggestions. Good luck!

bret

Threads
What do you want to do to it, what is it lacking? What do you want it to accomplish? It is lacking functionality, space, do you want it enclosed into a sun room?

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads

COME ON, COME ON...we are bursting with all kinds of helpful suggestions but cannot give them until you provide more detail...

Maybe you can help me...five years ago I built a bi-level 24X12 deck with two stairways, a hot tub, a grill bump out, and installed two sliding glass doors that enable access to the deck from inside the house. It looks so blah...can YOU give me ideas for what to do to solve the problem? :biggrin:

minkyung

Threads
I do not get what "blah" means. Is that an American word for something? :) Thank you for helping me catch the language better. I am learning a lot here.