About to buy, but have a few questions real quick...

hogwildredneck

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / About to buy, but have a few questions real quick...
Good morning everyone! First I'd like to introduce myself.. the names Mike and I LOVE to mow. It puts me in a 'zen' like mood. Plus, its the feeling of accomplishment once I've finished my yard too you know..? Once I'm done trimming and mowing... and it looks just beautiful, there's nothing like it in my opinion. Plus, don't ask me why... but I have always liked the smell of freshly cut grass. Theres just something about it.

Anyhow, I went and looked at a slightly used mower this past Saturday. It's in EXCELLENT condition and was owned/used by an older gentleman who ended up having to sell it because of health problems. The mower, is a 2011 Craftsman. It's got a 26HP KOHLER engine (great engine, I've had great luck with these engines) and a 54" 3-blade mowing deck underneath. Everything on it is stock and is in like new condition. If I remember correctly, the mower had under 160 hours on it.. which isn't bad at all, especially for a Craftsman 26HP Kohler.

While I was there taking a look at it this past Saturday, I didn't start it or test drive it or anything like that. But the more I think about this deal.. the better and better it sounds. They company that is selling it.. obviously doesn't know that these mowers, because base price for one of these mowers brand new from Sears is right at $3,000.00.. and the company selling it to me are asking well under half the new sticker price.. and again, this thing is in EXCELLENT condition. The only thing it needed, that I could tell.. was maybe a new set of mower blades. But, thats if your extremely picky.. which I'm not.. so I could use the blades that are on there all this summer.. then worry about putting on some new ones for next season.

Anyhow, I was just wondering if anyone else has or has had one of these mowers... and if you could maybe tell me things to look for or to watch out for on this particular mower. I've had craftsman mowers in the past.. actually, that's all I've ever ran. However, I've never had one of this size.. the ones I've owned in the past were all under 20HP and between 42" cut to 46"cut max.

But yeah, any pointers or words of caution would be greatly appreciated because I've got my trailor hooked onto my truck and I'm going back to the company that's selling it this morning.. to take another closer look/inspection of the mower and give it a test run to make sure everything works like it should.

So again, if you have any words of caution.. or anything in particular I should watch/look out for, please by all means let me know as it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and happy mowing to all of you!

-Mike 'The Tank'.

hogwildredneck

Forum Newbie
Threads
yeah..? Nobody around here owns the Craftsman DGS 6500 mower/tractor? Well, anyhow.. I bought her. Yep. Just got her yesterday. She runs abslutely GREAT. Just got through going through everything on her.. she needs a new air-filter for sure.. and could use an oil change. I haven't checked the spark-plug(s) yet because I haven't been able to find the manual for this model.

Anyone maybe happen to know where someone could find the owners manual for the Craftsman DGS-6500? It's 26HP Kohler with the 54" cut. I'm sure I could probably order one from Sears.. or have them order one for me.

The only problem the tractor has.. is the mowing deck. And the problem I don't think is a huge problem. I bought this thing from my local tractor supply company, and while I was there yesterday I test drove it and all that.. but when I tried engaging the mower-deck.. it threw the belt off the pulley on the left hand-side of the deck. It's the pulley that sits on-top of the left-hand side spindle that turns the left-hand side blade under the deck. Luckily, the salesman went and got a mechanic from the shop and he came over and tried it. Sure enough, it threw the belt of the same side and same pulley/spindle. Well, we all got to looking.. and I remembered that there should be either a plastic or metal gaurd.. that covers the pulley/spindle. It should have one on both sides. Well, sure enough.. as we looked closer, I spotted the screw/bolt holes for the pulley/spindle covers.. that "SHOULD" be there.. but aren't.

Long story short.. after figuring out that, that was really the biggest issue with the tractor/mower.. I went ahead and bought it. I got it for a steal!!! This is a 3k to 4k mower.. 1 and a half years old.. and I got it for $800.00 even. After I left there.. I went directly to Sears and sure enough, those pulley/spindle gaurds ARE suppose to be there.. but the lady at Sears also informed me that these guards are not only to keep the operators feet/toes/any loose clothing out of the pulley/spindle.. but they also play a huge role in keeping the belt for the mowing deck.. on track and from jumping off from any of the pullies. So, I went ahead and ordered both of them. Ones metal and ones plastic.. go figure.? Grand total for the guards and the installation hardware came in right under $100 bucks!!

So that brings the total I paid for the tractor up to about an even $900. Which still isn't bad in my opinion.. considering this mower is showroom new.

Anyhow, if anyone could tell me where I might be able to find an online owners manual for this model.. it sure would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
:thumbsup:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sound like you got a good deal. You should be able to go online to sears parts

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

hogwildredneck

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sound like you got a good deal. You should be able to go online to sears parts

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Thanks buddy! Yeah, I figured I would have to probably contact Sears and order the manual from them.

I suppose you don't have this specific model Craftsman mower?? I mean, have you ever had this model?

hogwildredneck

Forum Newbie
Threads