A posting Cub Cadet PTO issue

acbristol57

Threads
I have a Cub Cadet 50" mower (Kohler engine) that is experiencing issues with the pto/blade engagement. I joined to get information about this issue. The mower has 200 hours on the clock. I have replaced the left hand blade pulley spindle last year. This seems to be a bit of a design issue since this particular one seems to provide 'tension' and torque for the others. I would imagine a stronger assembly shouls have been used here.

I'm going to try and figure out how to wire the 'Bosch style' relay into the pto switch circuit that might fix this issue. I have great experiences with Kohlers over the years and not so good experience with Briggs engines.

I also own a 1952 Cub that I just play around with. Now that was a lawn mower!

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnMowerForum!

I moved your thread to the Cub Cadet Forum. :smile:

east_tn_emc

Threads
Exactly what kind of issues are you having? Can you be more specific. What are you trying to solve by incorporating a Bosch relay into your circuit?

acbristol57

Threads
It is what seems to be the most usual reply to this 'common' problem. I can really believe that this
might fix the issue I have. However I'm going to switch a 'strong' off the battery lead to the clutch. We'll see what that does.

I understand that will be outside off the seat switch, but I need to just cut grass.

I'll buy a much more expensive mower the next time. It might be better, but I'm not convinced about that.

The Cub is good but it has a bit of issues like this one.

My 1952 Cub still works; that's amazing. However the company that built that one is long gone.

acbristol57

Threads
Sorry, the PTO does not stay on for any bit of time. It dies within a minute every time. I have chacged the battery every time after this. The battery is a year and a half old according to the sticker.

Sorry about that.

LT1045wrh

Threads
My ignition switch was bad on my LT1045. Prior to that I replaced the fuse, the PTO switch, no fix, new battery, no fix. Finally changed out the ignition switch, and viola, the PTO ran great! I can even mow in reverse again!
Good luck with your PTO issue, they can be troublesome to diagnose.
Wendy :biggrin:

acbristol57

Threads
Thanks for the replies. I've replaced the battery which improved the situation a bit. However it's still occurring but not as quickly.

I bought a 12V relay today and will install that this afternoon. We'll see what that does.