917288515 Craftsman riding mower

Don132

Forum Newbie
Threads
Steering problem!! Replaced steering links on both sides; aligned the steering wheel, gear and pinion and I
still have an extreme toe out in reverse, not in forward motion. What's up with this?? Thanks, Don

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Steering problem!! Replaced steering links on both sides; aligned the steering wheel, gear and pinion and I
still have an extreme toe out in reverse, not in forward motion. What's up with this?? Thanks, D

All I can think of is to jack up the front, grab the wheels and move them left to right (individually and both) and see where the slack is. You might get someone to hold the steering wheel while you're doing it so it keeps everything except what's loose, in place.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The wheels have 2 bushes in them that flog out.
The front cross member has a bush ( might be 2 ) that wears which allows it to tilt and that changes the angle of the steering pins

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Oh it is a lot worst. This is one of the NZTR steering systems. Lots of wear areas. Even after replacing everything you may still end up with a toe out problem that will require a hydraulic press to fix. I had to do just this year two complete rebuilds of the NZTR system and both required using a hydraulic to get the final alignment right. It take less than 1/16" play to throw the alignment off. It is very time consuming to get right. At I now have enough experience repairing this system that at least I know to look for but I know that most of the wear parts will need replacing so I stock them.

Yes the center pivot has two bushings that wear. Also the two pivot plates bushings, mounting bolts, and shim washers wear. Even if the main axle center pivot is not worn those pivot plates and associated parts can cause problems when reversing. As I said under a 1/16" of play can cause problems.

Plus as Bert mentions the front wheel bushing can also be worn out.

Overall the NZTR steering is a major headache to repair.

Don132

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys. I will try all suggested techniques. Will advise.