Repairs 917.388861 Starts after priming but then dies and need to wait until it "sits"

aces4213

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 917.388861 Starts after priming but then dies and need to wait until it "sits"
917.388861 Starts after priming but then dies and need to wait until it "sits"

I have a craftsman model 917.388861 that starts after priming but then dies. I have to weed eat or find something else to do with my time while it "cools" down to begin to work again. I was told by many sources that it could be the carburetor, so I went and purchased a new one. Well, it's doing the same thing. I am one of those that likes taking care of what little I have so it has been maintained with the usual changing the blade, oil, spark plug, and clean it up for the spring or whenever I get the chance. The only other thing that I am thinking is it is the fuel. But it is just not making any sense to me....Please HELP!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / 917.388861 Starts after priming but then dies and need to wait until it "sits"
Re: 917.388861 Starts after priming but then dies and need to wait until it "sits"

After yo start themover continue to pump the primer bulb every few seconds.
If the mower continues to run then the fuel is not getting to the carb so the line is blocked, debris in tank or if it has an engine with carb on top of tank the pump diaphram & gasket needs to be replaced.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Re: 917.388861 Starts after priming but then dies and need to wait until it "sits"

Next time it dies, check for spark. You may have a coil that is bad.

aces4213

Forum Newbie
Threads

After yo start themover continue to pump the primer bulb every few seconds.
If the mower continues to run then the fuel is not getting to the carb so the line is blocked, debris in tank or if it has an engine with carb on top of tank the pump diaphram & gasket needs to be replaced.

This was the next thing I was thinking. I will try that and let you know. I cleaned the carb and ran good through one session then reverted back to this. I cleaned it again, but same result so I went and bought a new carb. I am thinking that it is a line that is blocked.

AnthemBassMan

Threads

Another thing to try is starting it without the gas cap. This will rule out whether or not the vents in the cap are plugged...

L8R,
Matt

aces4213

Forum Newbie
Threads
STATUS REPORT on 917.388861

REPAIRED!
Thanks for everyones comments. I do not know exactly which comment fixed it, but I will tell you what I did to make it work now. As you know the carburetor was replaced...However that did not fix my problem. I also went ahead and replaced the air filter and spark plug. I still had the same problem.
I think what actually fixed it was cleaning out the fuel line and gas tank, cleaned/aired out the gas cap, and replaced the fuel with stabilizer. I will know FOR SURE next week if it is completely repaired, because I just cut the grass yesterday! Until next time!