83288 mtd troy-bilt not charging

brownie52

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 1996 Troy-Bilt 20-46,new batt,last year.charg its good for 30/45 min,thanking its not charging? fues looks ok,what shoud i start looking for?newbe thank you,

nova2

Threads
I have same problem. have to charge battery ever time I use it. will not charge while running. Help !!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most likely it is either a stator problem or regulator/rectifier problem guys please post your engine model numbers so we can give you direction on how to test your charging systems.

nova2

Threads
Most likely it is either a stator problem or regulator/rectifier problem guys please post your engine model numbers so we can give you direction on how to test your charging systems.

Briggs model 311777

type 0148-E1

code 990830ZE

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Briggs model 311777

type 0148-E1

code 990830ZE

From what I can gather from the parts breakdown, you have the 10-16 amp charging system. The regulator should have three wires coming out of it. One is red, and then a double yellow connector if I remember the colors correctly. Disconnect the single wire and make sure you have battery voltage at the wire that connects to the regulator. If battery voltage then disconnect the double connector from the regulator, and put one lead of a voltage meter into each side of the double connector coming from under the flywheel. make sure the meter is set for AC start the engine and run at full throttle, and find what the AC output of the stator is. Should be at least 28v AC. if lower then replace stator under the flywheel. if more then replace the regulator.

nova2

Threads
Thanks, I will try when I return from work today.