8 Hour Review - MTD Cub Cadet RZT SX54

wrldtvlr

Threads
And a followup to my comment about washing with water. Came across this MTD Service Bulletin while researching spindle lubrication requirements (newer OEM spindles are sealed, so no lube possible). It makes a compelling argument for not washing the mower deck with water:

CLEANING:
Never use a garden hose, pressure washer or water spray* to clean around deck spindles – especially if the parts are warm from recent use. Using water around these sealed bearing assemblies may cause water vapor to be drawn into the assembly as the parts cool or the pressure force water past the bearing seals. Water inside spindle assemblies or bearings may shorten the life expectancy of these parts by contributing to rust build up and increased friction. The best method for cleaning around deck spindles is to use a soft wire brush, broom or plastic scraper tool. * Note: Cutting decks equipped with factory installed Deck Wash® systems are designed that the water spray is directed around the outside of the deck away from the spindle assemblies.

wrldtvlr

Threads
Really surprised at how much I like the Bluetooth enabled hour meter. It pairs up with a free app for your smartphone and gives a good indication of when each maintenance item needs to be accomplished. Of course you have to be OK with MTD getting that usage data as well. The downside is that it doesn't always seem to recall login details so you have to log in each use and the app needs to be opened while the mower is running to update the hours.

Well, perhaps I don't like this quite so much. Had to change a tire yesterday and inadvertently left the ignition switch in the on position overnight (motor not running). When I realized what I had done today, I also noticed that the hour meter is based on switch on time, not engine running time. In the grand scheme of things, the extra 12 hours or so is no big deal, but annoying.