75754 After sitting a couple of weeks, takes 20-25 seconds to start.

cliffblue

Threads
  • / 75754 After sitting a couple of weeks, takes 20-25 seconds to start.
Timecutter 75754 when I start it after a week, I have to crank it 20-25 seconds before it will start. I pull the choke, throttle position doesn’t seem to affect it. When it fires the first time, it starts. The previous owner cleaned the carb without replacing gaskets. Think a carb kit might be the answer? Another fuel question, why do they want the throttle wide open when the engine is shut off?

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Timecutter 75754 when I start it after a week, I have to crank it 20-25 seconds before it will start. I pull the choke, throttle position doesn’t seem to affect it. When it fires the first time, it starts. The previous owner cleaned the carb without replacing gaskets. Think a carb kit might be the answer? Another fuel question, why do they want the throttle wide open when the engine is shut off?
I would check to be sure choke butterfly is fully closing when it should. A mower should not take 25 seconds to start. You will end up burning up the starter, etc. if this continues for long periods of time.
You always want to bring engine to low idle before shutting off, not the opposite. Do you rev up your car to 4000 RPM and then turn it off?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You always want to bring engine to low idle before shutting off, not the opposite. Do you rev up your car to 4000 RPM and then turn it off?
Not with Kohler due to how the fuel solenoid interacts with the carb jets. Kohler doesn't shut off fuel flow to the idle circuit of the carb. So if you idle before shutdown there is a higher chance of causing a afterfire event. Kohler recommends 1/2 to full throttle shutdown.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IPL show a Loncin 2P77F.

Does this Loncin have an oil pressure switch? IF so disconnect it and try starting to see if the problem goes away. It might just having to build up the oil to start after it sits for awhile.

cliffblue

Threads
I would check to be sure choke butterfly is fully closing when it should. A mower should not take 25 seconds to start. You will end up burning up the starter, etc. if this continues for long periods of time.
The choke position crossed my mind, thanks, I will check that. I agree about killing it at wot. I alway idle all of my small engines before shutting off. It’s printed right by the throttle, so I had to ask.

cliffblue

Threads
Not with Kohler due to how the fuel solenoid interacts with the carb jets. Kohler doesn't shut off fuel flow to the idle circuit of the carb. So if you idle before shutdown there is a higher chance of causing a afterfire event. Kohler recommends 1/2 to full throttle shutdown.
Good point, thanks. Even 1/2 throttle would grate on me less.

cliffblue

Threads
IPL show a Loncin 2P77F.

Does this Loncin have an oil pressure switch? IF so disconnect it and try starting to see if the problem goes away. It might just having to build up the oil to start after it sits for awhile.
I will check, but I wonder why for a few days after running, it will start almost right away. Thanks.