62V Green Machine, new OPE line exclusive at Home Depot ...

dougmacm

Threads
  • / 62V Green Machine, new OPE line exclusive at Home Depot ...
Looks a bit like Greenworks but the batteries look like EGO. Mfr. is a company name Brako and they've supposedly been making the product line for 3 years.

Stumbled upon the brand when looking thru H-D's Black Friday deals yesterday.

What caught my attention is the lawnmowers (both pusher & self-propel) are a 23" Deck / 22" Cut.

The Self-Propel control though is the dumbest design I've ever seen and there are plenty of owners complaining about it.

Take a look at the S-P mower:

Click on the "Use and Care Manual' link to see how the silly S-P works and read the reviews.

The full line seems reasonably priced and includes a chainsaw, blower, string trimmer, hedge trimmer, 2.5Ah(135Wh) & 4.0Ah(216Wh) Batteries, and 4A Rapid Charger (4Ah charges in 60 min. / 2.5Ah in 45 min.).

Doing the math (Wh/Ah) they are actually 54V not 62V.

Found it interesting and thought I'd share.

Doug

Last edited:

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Green Machine sounds familiar, but I don't recall any details. maybe the name was bought from some prev. co. ?

Charlie8d

Threads
It does look a lot like a Greenworks 60v mower. Maybe they rated it 62v just to beat Greenworks 60v. Only time will tell how good it is.
I LOVE my Greenworks 60v.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A ithium cell is nominally 3 volts so 62 is a con job .

SHB

Threads
lol, lead acid 'cell' is a little over 2 volts, so, a 12V car battery is totally bogus....
12v car battery has 6 - 2V cells in series, nominal voltage for a single lithium cell is 3.6V, though different cathode chemistries can move it around a bit, a 60V pack would have 16-17 cells in series.

dougmacm

Threads
A ithium cell is nominally 3 volts so 62 is a con job .

The 2.5Ah battery is 135Wh and the 4.0Ah is 216Wh.

Doing the math (Wh/Ah) they are actually 54V not 62V.

The Manual for the batteries states both the 2.5Ah & 4Ah have 15 cells ... which would only be 45V ... probably a typo and they really have 18 cells each.

Greenworks & Kobalt 40V and 80V are really 36 Volts & 72 Volts. The Snapper 82V is also really 72 Volts and I'm sure there are others ... most of the industry is doing it.

Doug

MowerMike

Threads
There is no industry standard, per se. Manufacturers are all over the place when it comes to battery voltage ratings. For example, I have a Jonsered (Husqvarna) 58V max 2.6Ah battery that is also labelled as 131Wh, which works out to about 50.4V nominal. So, per Jonsered, the nominal voltage is about 87% of the maximum open circuit voltage. This is in contrast to the Greenworks 60V batteries, which have a nominal rating of 54V such that the nominal voltage is 90% of the open circuit voltage. It should be noted that when fully charged, the Greenworks 60V battery open circuit voltage is well over 61V, whereas the Jonsered is below 58V.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is no industry standard, per se. Manufacturers are all over the place when it comes to battery voltage ratings. For example, I have a Jonsered (Husqvarna) 58V max 2.6Ah battery that is also labelled as 131Wh, which works out to about 50.4V nominal. So, per Jonsered, the nominal voltage is about 87% of the maximum open circuit voltage. This is in contrast to the Greenworks 60V batteries, which have a nominal rating of 54V such that the nominal voltage is 90% of the open circuit voltage. It should be noted that when fully charged, the Greenworks 60V battery open circuit voltage is well over 61V, whereas the Jonsered is below 58V.
Which was the whole point of the initial response of it being a con job to make it sound better .
The Working voltage of most lithium cells is 2.85V to 3.05V depending upon the actual chemistry & construction of the battery.
The industry standard is to quote them as 3 V
So any battery pack should be quoted with a voltage that is divisable by 3
I would imagine that the 62 V was the fully charged open circuit voltage of a 20 cell ( 60 V )
It also require you to understand the difference in power delivery of a few large cells vs a lot of small ones .
Now that all of the states will eventually follow Californias lead expect to see all sorts of advertising BS about electric tools trying to fool customers into thinking there is a difference between them other than the colour of the plastic bits .
The biggest worry is there is no law mandating the length of time that batteries must remain in production so there will be lots of tools that will only last till the original battery pack degrades because there are no replacements .

I find it very dissapointing that we have gotten to the state where the planet is going to hell in a shopping trolley because of excessive consumption of short life disposable goods and we are being feed the line we can SHOP our way out of it and it will be business as usual when shopping was the problem in the first place

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
I remember (and participated in) the class action suit against manufacturers claiming 'toohigh' horsepower ratings of their lawnmowers. There was a lot of hyperbolic complaining yet, no one claimed their lawn didn't get mowed.

I just chalked it up to it being similar to the local burger joint claiming they had the the best burgers in town.

To me, it's more egregious to advertise deck width instead of cutting path.