6000 ZT Bogging down when PTO engaged.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Try disconnecting one spark plug and run engine at full throttle and engage and disengage the PTO many times then do the same with the other cylinder and see if there is a difference.
Also, when you engage the PTO and it bogs and dies try pulling the choke when it starts to bog and see if it revs back up.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Question are you doing this with the opposite cylinder plug wire disconnected at the time or with both plugs wires connected? If both connected then that just indicated that ignition is working but could still valve problem.

Both plugs are connected when I take an RPM reading. And just to be sure the cylinder is firing, I read the temps from both exhaust. Both sides are hot.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Try disconnecting one spark plug and run engine at full throttle and engage and disengage the PTO many times then do the same with the other cylinder and see if there is a difference.
Also, when you engage the PTO and it bogs and dies try pulling the choke when it starts to bog and see if it revs back up.

I think I've tried pulling the choke when engaging the PTO. There wasn't any difference, IIRC. But I'll do again, just to be sure.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Starting and pulling the PTO with 1 spark plug disconnected.

But first cranking the engine with both plug wires attached, warming up the engine and pulling the PTO. It bogged down the first couple of times I did it. Even pushing the button back in, within a second, it would still die. After about the 3rd time, it would bog down some, but only at a normal level. And within a second, the RPMs came back up, blades were going like normal.
So then I disconnected one spark plug. Obviously only running on one cylinder. The problem is, I did this test after I'd already cranked the engine and got the PTO going. So pulling the PTO button, would bog the engine down more than normal (as in 2 cylinders) but it wasn't enough to kill the engine.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would let it all cool down an double check the deck spindles and idlers.
I would start engine and let it run full throttle for about 5 minutes to get wsrmed up then turn on PTO and see if it bogs

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would let it all cool down an double check the deck spindles and idlers.
I would start engine and let it run full throttle for about 5 minutes to get wsrmed up then turn on PTO and see if it bogs

Yes sir, all the idlers check out.