6.75 B&S gold

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
two versions of carbs were used on that model, Primer and Autochoke.. Do you have the little red bulb you push on the front of the mower?
First we probably ought to rule out, or find out, if it's a fuel issue.
when it dies and you start it back up, and it's idling real low, i would look and see what position the throttle is in, and try to manual change the RPM by adding tension to governor spring or opening the throttle by hand on the carburetor.
if it seems to run better with throttle wide open (more fuel can be drawn in) i would suspect a fuel delivery issue. if runs worse or just dies when you open the throttle, it may be the valve lash is too tight, and then when they get hot and expand there is very little to no clearance and they may not open at the precise time. i think the lash specs are 005" to 007" intake and 007" to 009" exhaust.

Last edited:
Threads
two versions of carbs were used on that model, Primer and Autochoke.. Do you have the little red bulb you push on the front of the mower?
when it dies and you start it back up, and it's idling real low, i would look and see what position the throttle is in, and try to manual change the RPM by adding tension to governor spring or opening the throttle by hand on the carburetor.
if it seems to run better with throttle wide open (more fuel can be drawn in) i would suspect a fuel delivery issue. if runs worse or just dies when you open the throttle, it may be the valve lash is too tight, and then when they get hot and expand there is very little to no clearance and they may not open at the precise time. i think the lash specs are 005" to 007" intake and 007" to 009" exhaust.
I will have to Google how to adjust valve lash. I will try that with the throttle lever. Thanks.

Threads
Mine is auto-choke.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Now that we know its an auto choke, there could very well be an issue with that system.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
That's how it's supposed to be, when the mower is running and starts acting up, look to see what position the choke is in, you can let it run without the airfilter, or leave the air filter cover on loose so you can take it off quickly and you should be able to see the choke butterfly in the carburetor. should be open. all the way.
But since you said it doesn't blow any black smoke when its acting up, that's probably not the problem.