6.5hp intek hard to start after

powerwrench

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 6.5 briggs intek vertical engine is hard to start. I have to give it 5 to 10 pulls to get it to start but once it does she runs like a champ. Im thinking it might be the armature or maybe the valves but what do you guys think?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Choke not closing all the way, or primer not working correctly.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just had one last week that would start and die about half a dozen times until it got warmed up then would run perfect. Ignition module air gap was .008 instead of the .010-.014 requirement.

powerwrench

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just had one last week that would start and die about half a dozen times until it got warmed up then would run perfect. Ignition module air gap was .008 instead of the .010-.014 requirement.
ok ill give that a try tomorrow and see if that fixes my problem

AnthemBassMan

Threads
You may also need a new air filter gasket. My Brother-in-law has a John Deere JS61 mower with the 6.75 Intek. It was a real bear to start, but once started, it ran great. After going over different things trying to figure out the problem, I saw the gasket had a tear near the primer port. I replaced the gasket and it now fires up with one or two pulls. I found out that sometimes the filter box will warp a bit where it bolts to the carb...

L8R,
Matt

powerwrench

Forum Newbie
Threads
You may also need a new air filter gasket. My Brother-in-law has a John Deere JS61 mower with the 6.75 Intek. It was a real bear to start, but once started, it ran great. After going over different things trying to figure out the problem, I saw the gasket had a tear near the primer port. I replaced the gasket and it now fires up with one or two pulls. I found out that sometimes the filter box will warp a bit where it bolts to the carb...

L8R,
Matt

i replaced the air filter gasket but no luck still has a hard time starting.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you set the plug to 0.020"?
Also the plastic spacer at carb can warp causing bad hot start.

powerwrench

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you set the plug to 0.020"?
Also the plastic spacer at carb can warp causing bad hot start.

i didn't with the spark plug because it is new and when i took the carb off and inspected all of the parts i did not see any worpage