5hp help

K5BEAST

Forum Newbie
Threads
have an ancient Troy built rototiller that has had a 5hp briggs engine, with the pulsajet carb, put on it somewhere along the way. I'm having issues keeping it running. It'll start great the first time and runs for 3, maybe 4, minutes and then dies. After that it is a mofo to start. Seems like it is getting way too much fuel. I've been through the carb and tank. New diaphragm/ pump, new governor spring. I've cleaned the jets & passageways. Everything is clean. Triple checked the linkages. New fuel. I've tried adjusting the mixture screw in and out. Removed and cleaned behind it. I just don't understand why it's getting so much fuel and then just dies. It's a manual choke and it works as it should.

Hoping some of you gurus on here can enlighten me.....

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are 2 basic types of pulsajet carbs. The old style has an adjustable needle valve for the main jet and the newer style doesn't. The main jet is fixed and it has an adjustment for the idle mixture. Can you take a pic or give the model and type number of the engine so we know what carb you have?
When it dies have you checked for spark?
What does the spark plug look like after ut dies? Black wet? Black dry?
Does engine smoke?
Did you have fun getting to the carb mounting bolts?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There is also a couple other possibles. One is the valve clearance if it is a L-head as They near Zero cold and at Zero or less hot. Another is a weak or failing coil or plug. I just an air compressor that would run until it get hot. It would not stay running or start under air tank load. Unload the air tank and it would start up and run until the kick off pressure and die again. That one was the ignition coil but I seen plugs to do the same thing.

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is why i asked if it has spark when it dies. I doubt if it is flodding out after 15 mins of running. Something else like you said coil or valves. I am going to bet on a bad coil.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Got when checking for spark too as some plugs and coil can fire when not under compression load but not when under compression load as well as a plug that shorts under load will flash one those neon testers.

The best test on single cylinder is try a known good plug. New don't always means good.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
When I think a coil is failing i use the Briggs gap style tester and not the neon type and i always put in a new plug. And since i screwed up and ordered the wrong plugs i have close to 100 RJ19LM plugs. LOL.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That is a lifetime supply for me.

Now, now, you not suppose to be making mistakes like me...I have gotten to where I triple check my ordering lately as I have ordered things in the past that I didn't intend to order as I had to put in the cart to just see the cost.

I am still working thru my software programmer's screw up of my inventory and it is now going on two years. Just ran into where my system said I had two belts but when I checked there were none. Rats just placed an order the evening before. I suspect I am still show over $5,000 in inventory that I don't have even I have increased it by $2,000 so this year.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I buy the RJ19LM, RC12YC and BPMR7A plugs by the 25 plug shop pack. I wanted 2 packs of the RC12YC and brain farted and orderd RJ19LM instead and already had 2 packs on hand. Will be a few years before i need more of the RJ19LM.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Someone say Pulsa Jet?

Where did the OP go? Dude ghosted us.

Did you remove the welch plugs and clean behind them? Most likely you will have to boil the carb to clean it out good. Old carb probably is full of varnish and grit.

I would lap the carb to block flange and use the real Briggs gasket. This gasket I speak of is roughly 1/4" thick. Chinese Amazon/Ebay carbs come with a thin 1/8" gasket.

K5BEAST

Forum Newbie
Threads
OP here. For some reason I'm not getting notification about replies. Figured I'd check today and behold!!

I haven't checked for spark after it dies. I'll do that as soon as i get home. I haven't had a chance to mess with it any more as it's been raining for days now.

It isn't varnish. Carb was remarkably clean on the inside and I cleaned it again. I'm confident that's not the issue. Tank is clean also.

I'll take some pics and report back in a few hours