5hp B&S Model 130292-0141-06 won't stay running...

BrokenTiller

Threads
  • / 5hp B&S Model 130292-0141-06 won't stay running...
Hey all, as the thread title suggests, I have a 5HP B&S engine that won't stay running. It is mounted on a rototiller. Last season I used it to till my garden, but the engine would not "rev up" unless I bent over and held the throttle open and even then it didn't run great. Lots of gas was also leaking out of, I believed, where the carburetor mounts to the top of the tank. So this weekend I bought a rebuild kit and replaced all of the gaskets/seals and needle valve. After the rebuild it starts MUCH more easily with full choke, and screams at WOT with the choke closed just a tiny bit (have it 1/8" from fully 'off'), but as soon as I open the choke that last little bit it dies off. I fought with it for quite a while yesterday trying to fine-tune the adjustment on the needle valve to no avail.

When I had everything torn apart for installation of the rebuild kit, I also sprayed it thoroughly with carburetor cleaner and cleaned it as best I could. It seems to behave the same with the air cleaner on and off. There is still some gas leaking out where the carburetor mounts to the tank, but I'm not sure whether it is coming out at the brand new gasket or if the fuel line connection might be leaking, but it is significantly less leakage than prior to replacement of the gasket.

Thoughts?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Three possible thing here. One is the fuel pipes may be partially clogged. Two it is not unusual to use two gaskets between the tank and carb, and some engines actually call for a double gasket. Three sometimes the cover of the fuel pump diaphragm will warp and cause a leak which can look like the tank gasket is leaking. The leak there can also effect the amount of fuel pumped up into the small well inside the tank which could also effect running.

BrokenTiller

Threads
Thanks! If one of the fuel pickup lines is partially clogged, why would it run with the choke partially closed but not with it wide open?

Also, Are there any kind of aftermarket mufflers available to quiet it down a bit? As it is, the muffler is fairly short (maybe 6" or so, just a guess) and sticks straight out of the engine horizontally above and slightly behind the gas tank, and is threaded directly into the engine block. I think it is the same setup as this one (not my engine, just one from a google image search):

dcp_6681-1a.jpg

Looking at the parts diagrams available online (Briggs and Stratton 130292-0141-99 Parts List and Diagram : eReplacementParts.com), I do not see this type of muffler available, so I'm wondering if one of the ones that is available would work and help quiet it down a bit. While working on it yesterday, I woke up my 3-year old son who was napping with the windows closed from the very back corner of our 1/2 acre lot.

Attachments

• 1252190.jpg
    1252190.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 0

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks! If one of the fuel pickup lines is partially clogged, why would it run with the choke partially closed but not with it wide open?

Also, Are there any kind of aftermarket mufflers available to quiet it down a bit? As it is, the muffler is fairly short (maybe 6" or so, just a guess) and sticks straight out of the engine horizontally above and slightly behind the gas tank, and is threaded directly into the engine block. I think it is the same setup as this one (not my engine, just one from a google image search):

dcp_6681-1a.jpg

Looking at the parts diagrams available online (Briggs and Stratton 130292-0141-99 Parts List and Diagram : eReplacementParts.com), I do not see this type of muffler available, so I'm wondering if one of the ones that is available would work and help quiet it down a bit. While working on it yesterday, I woke up my 3-year old son who was napping with the windows closed from the very back corner of our 1/2 acre lot.

With the choke closed, it will create a higher vacuum because of less air flow and in turn will allow a richer fuel mix. I suspect your engine had a more rectangle type muffler, but the mounting bolts broke off in the engine, which looks like in the picture they may be. You may be able to drill them out and retap, or install helicoil thread repairs. Briggs isn't known for quiet muffler per say.

Also from the picture it looks like the linkage from the governor arm to the carb is missing, and there is a spring connected to the throttle, which won't allow for throttle speed adjustments. and could also lead to overspeed and causing the smoke to come out of the engine block when the broken rod puts a hole through it.

BrokenTiller

Threads
With the choke closed, it will create a higher vacuum because of less air flow and in turn will allow a richer fuel mix. I suspect your engine had a more rectangle type muffler, but the mounting bolts broke off in the engine, which looks like in the picture they may be. You may be able to drill them out and retap, or install helicoil thread repairs. Briggs isn't known for quiet muffler per say.

Also from the picture it looks like the linkage from the governor arm to the carb is missing, and there is a spring connected to the throttle, which won't allow for throttle speed adjustments. and could also lead to overspeed and causing the smoke to come out of the engine block when the broken rod puts a hole through it.

The picture is NOT my engine, just a picture I stumbled across online that has a similar exhaust to mine. I also see the missing throttle linkage and springs, which mine has intact. The throttle adjustment works on mine, and the engine does respond accordingly as long as I have the choke on part way. It just shuts off when I push the choke in all the way.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

BrokenTiller

Threads
https://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/support/manuals/results?NTT=130292-0141* manual & parts, see page 4 illustrated parts list item 191, part # 27911 page 15 calls for 2 gaskets between carburetor & gas tank, make sure carburetor & tank surfaces are spotlessly clean before installing new gaskets.

Amazon.com: Briggs & Stratton 272409S Fuel Tank Gasket Replaces 272409/271592/27911/272409S/555084: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Thanks! If you need 2 of them, I wonder why the rebuild kit only came with 1? It had 2 gaskets for between the carburetor and the engine, but only 1 for between carburetor and tank... Stupid kit...