550EX Starts with fluid and runs

John Q

Threads
Hi Guys, I am a newby here. This 550EX TB110 starts with Carb Cleaner and then runs fine. If I shut it off while cutting the grass I have to use fluid to start it again. It seems like a specific problem. I am hoping to fix this rather than take it to a shop.

I had to patch a hole in the gas tank. i plan on cleaning out the tank and cleaning out the carb, just wondering if there is something in particular that would cause this situation.

Thanks,

John Q

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Usual culprit is choke not closing fully
Next comes blocked idle jet
Unfortunately that engine comes in Primer, Choke & auto coke variatios, so without the full engine numbers or a photo of the carb, air filter housing removed , not much more I can tell you

John Q

Threads
Hi Bert,

Thanks for the response to my problem. I am real newbie, but am ready to take direction on this repair.

Attached are three photos, I took apart the carb and cleaned it as best I could.

It runs pretty good once I start it with the carb cleaner.

John

Attachments

• 550ex engine info.JPG
    550ex engine info.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 550ex choke.JPG
    550ex choke.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 550ex linkage.JPG
    550ex linkage.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 6

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the choke is closed then the idle jet is partially or fully blocked .
To do this the carb has to come off & apart .
The best instructions for doing this are on Steves Mower Saloon on U tube.
On some the idle jet was actually too small and requires drilling out .
The latter versions of the carb fixed this problem.
Hopefully one of the trade posters who have access to the Briggs Power Portal will chime in and check if you have an early or late carb.
But to do that they will need the full engine numbers, Model code & serial which will be on the engine rocker cover, or heat shield over the muffler or electro etched into the crank case if it is a Chinese made engine.

John Q

Threads
Bert, thanks I checked out Steve's Mower Saloon and one more UTube. I had one last clogged jet which I cleared. unfortunately I snapped the oval "o" ring where the two internal jet pieces connect. The lawnmower shop up the street doesn't sell that part alone, so for $15 I got to cut the grass today... and I have a spare jet missing the o ring.

I really appreciate your help.

John

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bit of bad luck there.
AFAIK the sealing ring is not available as a stand alone part it comes with the white jet holder.

John Q

Threads
Thanks again for your help on this. It started on one pull.