50" ZTR FastCut bogs down

traumajunkie769

Forum Newbie
Threads
We just bought a used ZTR.....it starts ok and seems to idle just fine. However, when I engage the blades, it bogs down to the point of almost or completely dying. It is having an issue getting fuel, but that seems to be a problem with the internal fuel intake line. I'm going to to pick up a new intake line and filter tomorrow.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the flow from the fuel tank.
ZTR's seem to suck a lot of crud into the tanks + seals from under the lid of fuel cans, plastic bags, grass clippings, I have even pulled 3 garden gloves out of one.
As for the deck, pull the belt off then check that there is no see saw type wobble in each blade and they spin freely & quietly.
Same with all of the idler pulleys

traumajunkie769

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got fuel line replaced with an added intake filter. All 3 blade spindles check out ok as do the idler pulleys. Next step is to check our spark. The plugs seem to be burning hot and not sure if the choke is opening all the way.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
But did you clean the tank out at the same time ?

Now when it "bogs Down" does it blow black smoke or get really loud ?
Both of these are signs of a blown head gasket
There are 2 circuits in your carb, an idle circuit & a full speed circuit.
IF the main jet has fallen out the engine will run fine when the throttle is closed down because t is sucking fuel through the idle jet.
When you engage the blades, the engine slows so the governor allows the throttle to open wide & you are then drawing fuel trough the main jet which is not there so the engine will flood out.
IF it is stalling lean the plugs will be light tan to white
If stalling rich the plugs will be sooty black.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
How does it rev without firing up the blades? Does it stumble off idle then hit high rpm? Manipulate the throttle if you can get to it in a rapid fashion. Sounds to me the pilot circuit needs adjusted and or a total carb clean.

Also check the flywheel to see if it has moved from someone hitting a chain or log. Timing might be off dogging the engine down. You said USED mower..... Cover all bases. Good strong spark? Good fuel delivery to the carb? Take the fuel line off and see what you got AT the carb.

slomo

traumajunkie769

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ended up having to replace the carburetor. Runs MUCH better now. However, it has a hard time pulling itself up hills with about a 30 degree incline. On flat or near flat lawn, it's great. But throw a hill at it and she's done. We're going to change the hydraulic filter and fluid this weekend. The mower only has about 925 hours on it. Should the drive pump or motors need to be replaced already?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ended up having to replace the carburetor. Runs MUCH better now. However, it has a hard time pulling itself up hills with about a 30 degree incline. On flat or near flat lawn, it's great. But throw a hill at it and she's done. We're going to change the hydraulic filter and fluid this weekend. The mower only has about 925 hours on it. Should the drive pump or motors need to be replaced already?
Some hydro motors are really not super strong. Might be just the mower. That 0 turn probably weighs 1,000lbs without you on it. We had a John Deere lawn tractor with hydros that couldn't pull much either. In comes the Kubota Diesel 4x4 tractor. The hydro oil looked brand new on that JD when I changed it out. Still didn't help the drive torque.

slomo