48" Convertible Deck - Idler Pulley bushing

TACTRAS

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Folks, would appreciate some advice from those familiar with this deck. I have a 1996 LX188 that has a non-standard 48 Convertible deck. The idler pulley bearing seized up at the weekend whilst mowing, throwing the smouldering pulley and top circular guard across the drive-way. It must of seized and then turned against the top nut (that's lost in the grass somewhere...). I've got a new pulley being delivered tomorrow, but looking at the drawings for this deck online, it only appears to show a mushroom looking bottom bearing bushing, but nothing topside other than the shield, washer and locking nut? The bottom bushing only enters around half way into the inner bearing race, meaning there's nothing supporting the top half. Is this right, or am I missing another bush? (have hopefully included pictures of deck (yes, I know it needs a service and a painting..) and of the parts I've recovered for the idler pulley).

Thanks in advance, Simon.deck.JPGBits_I_Have.JPG

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hi Folks, would appreciate some advice from those familiar with this deck. I have a 1996 LX188 that has a non-standard 48 Convertible deck. The idler pulley bearing seized up at the weekend whilst mowing, throwing the smouldering pulley and top circular guard across the drive-way. It must of seized and then turned against the top nut (that's lost in the grass somewhere...). I've got a new pulley being delivered tomorrow, but looking at the drawings for this deck online, it only appears to show a mushroom looking bottom bearing bushing, but nothing topside other than the shield, washer and locking nut? The bottom bushing only enters around half way into the inner bearing race, meaning there's nothing supporting the top half. Is this right, or am I missing another bush? (have hopefully included pictures of deck (yes, I know it needs a service and a painting..) and of the parts I've recovered for the idler pulley).

Thanks in advance, Simon.View attachment 64475View attachment 64476
The shield has a spacing bush in it I can see it clearly in the photo
It should have a lip on it that goes against the inner race when bolted up

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The shield has a spacing bush in it I can see it clearly in the photo
It should have a lip on it that goes against the inner race when bolted up
You are seeing things. It just a flat depression. JD uses a M8-1.25 Flange Nut to clamp the shield to 6203 bearing center. the center is 17mm and the nut is 17.9mm.
1684199669210.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Interesting
Not what was on the one only one I have ever replaced
Remember it because I used a plain pulley a 20% of the JD price but had to turn up bushes to fit it
There was a stepped stand off that went between the pulley & shield that I accidentially forgot to put the step in the first time so of course it did not clamp the pulley in place .
I know I should have checked the JD parts diagram but right now I am capped to 170kbs and only have 5Mb of data to use on the mobile hot spot for urgent important things

TACTRAS

Forum Newbie
Threads
You are seeing things. It just a flat depression. JD uses a M8-1.25 Flange Nut to clamp the shield to 6203 bearing center. the center is 17mm and the nut is 17.9mm.
View attachment 64486
Yeah, my photo is showing the top side of the shield, this is the underside. The indented section in the middle does, I agree, only make contact with the inner bearing race (so pulley is free to spin), but was just surprised to see it relying on the clamping force from the nut/bolt to stop any lateral movement/wobbling of the pully under load. Can't find the bloody drawing I found online, will look again. I don't think I have anything missing, but wanted to check with the experts on here. Thanks.

TACTRAS

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, the new one is on and all is good. Thanks for those who replied to my original query. Appreciated.

Simon.