455 John Deere keeps blowing the 15amp fuse

Towbar

Forum Newbie
Threads
455 John Deere keeps blowing the 15amp fuse in the panel on the right side. engine turns off. Dash lights turn off yet the head lights will work fine

logert gogert

Threads
are all you connections secure?
any of them touching any other metal or even each other?
because if you have any bare wire, it may be shorting out on the frame

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Usual reason is either an occasional short to ground from a bare / frayed wire or a broken connection on either the power side or ground side.
Before starting to play with electrickery we need to know how comfortable you are with wiring & what sort of test gear you have.
JD's wiring tends to be a little complicated but their technical manual is the best in the business by a very long shot.

The other thing that comes to mind is the fuse holder itself.
The get dirty and become a high resistance joint which blows the fuse as well.
The headlamps are on a totally different circuit which is why they continue to work after the fuse blows.
But the lift pump is on the same circuit as the fuse so poof & you stop.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don’t do as stated “try a larger fuse” as you could end up burning up a component or wiring harness. Only those who really understand electricity or those who don’t have a clue would try it. As Bert said, give us a little more info as to when it happens and we can give you an idea after you’ve checked the wiring and connections.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
LIke Bert and Rivets mentioned, give us how it is acting. Does it blow the fuse when the key is turned on or blows the fuse in the crank position. Will narrow down the possible locations for a short.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The board that the fuse sits in is around $ 1000 (AUD) and the fuse is there to protect it.
I know that because I had to replace one, twice.
First one got replaced with a new one as it had corrosion all over the place & had been shorting at the relay bases due to build up of conductive dust . The second time I found a geek to fix it.
And yes the second time the owner who "just had to mow the grass" shoved a 40A fuse in there which apparently blew every hour or so and melted the fuse holder in the process.

The 445's ran for a very long time and are very good tractors, as you know cause you have one.
The down side of this is there are about 20 variations to the wiring diagrams so it is not going to be a simple case of "resolder the blue wire " job.
We really need the serial number after which I can find the right diagram & post it.
If you don't have the manual ( and your should ) start a new thread asking is some one has one they can send you.
Some on the list are very good about sharing manuals ( or part there of ) and some will have old ones they don't need.
Problem for techs doing it because we need to keep a good working relationship with the manufacturers & down here JD take a dim view of people who buy a manual the distribute it widely for free or profit.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The board that the fuse sits in is around $ 1000 (AUD) and the fuse is there to protect it.
I know that because I had to replace one, twice.
First one got replaced with a new one as it had corrosion all over the place & had been shorting at the relay bases due to build up of conductive dust . The second time I found a geek to fix it.
And yes the second time the owner who "just had to mow the grass" shoved a 40A fuse in there which apparently blew every hour or so and melted the fuse holder in the process.

The 445's ran for a very long time and are very good tractors, as you know cause you have one.
The down side of this is there are about 20 variations to the wiring diagrams so it is not going to be a simple case of "resolder the blue wire " job.
We really need the serial number after which I can find the right diagram & post it.
If you don't have the manual ( and your should ) start a new thread asking is some one has one they can send you.
Some on the list are very good about sharing manuals ( or part there of ) and some will have old ones they don't need.
Problem for techs doing it because we need to keep a good working relationship with the manufacturers & down here JD take a dim view of people who buy a manual the distribute it widely for free or profit.
Bert The OP mentioned in the title this is the 455 and not the 445 which have a lot of similarities, but the 455 is diesel which will make for some unique differences in the system. Both have the electric in tank fuel pump, But I am sure the different engines make for some different wiring configurations.