42 inch 2020Toro timecutter ss zeroturn burns grass under muffler, what do I do?

cruzenmike

Threads
  • / 42 inch 2020Toro timecutter ss zeroturn burns grass under muffler, what do I do?
Is the grass burnt under the general area of the muffler or only where the hot gasses come out? When you stop for 45 seconds to take a drink of water do you turn off your deck and throttle down all the way?

If it's under the whole muffler it is from an extreme amount of heat radiating from the muffler and again this speaks to the heat shield being missing or improperly mounted or a lean condition likes others have stated. If it is just where the exhaust gases come out, then yes, sitting there for any amount of time while not moving, especially at full throttle will kill the grass.

While this may be a new and unusual experience to you, not all mowers are made the same and thus the next brand of mower might not do this. On the other hand it might just require you to change how you operate the mower.

I would bet that if you cut your grass and then stopped in place over the grass and shit the mower down right away, it wouldn't hurt the grass. Residential zero turns are more likely to have this "potential" problem because the have downward pointed mufflers and sit very low to the ground. If you are coming from a traditional riding mower, the engines are seated higher and thus the mufflers are further from the ground.