40v Max Lithium Cordless Mower CM2040

VickiB

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Black & Decker 40v CM2040 cordless mower suddenly stopped working. Won't start.

I bought it from a neighbor and have been using it constantly since April with no issues. I keep it clear of debris. The mower is about a year old, but since I didn't purchase it, I don't have warranty information.

Here's what I've tried:
- Both batteries are 6 months old and fully charged. Tried both, neither starts the mower.
- Safety key is firmly in place.
- Cleaned the entire mower of debris.
- No debris in battery area.
- Took off the cover and checked wires. Didn't see anything disconnected.
- Folded/unfolded the handle (safety switch in the handle? Someone said this worked for them).
- Re-seated the grass catcher (several times)
- Searched the owner's manual.

I keep reading about a "sweeper" something in the motor? But the manual doesn't mention it.

IDEAS?

Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 3.54.50 PM.png

Dan..

Forum Newbie
Threads
VickiB,
I might have an idea for you. I have the same mower and last fall I started having battery problems. I could seat a battery in the mower and start it. The mower would run for about 1 second and then cut off. It would not start again until I re-seated the battery. Then it would run again for about 1 second and cut off.
Looking at the plug end of the battery, there are two large prongs, one on each side. These carry the power to the mower. Between those large prongs there is a slot with five or six small contacts. I assumed that these small contacts monitor the condition of the battery and other things. They were not shiny. So I cut a piece of sandpaper just wide enough to fit unto the slot. I wrapped the sandpaper around a narrow thin metal piece and slid the sandpaper into and out of the slot several times. I blew the slot out well and tried the battery. The mower ran perfectly! I did the same procedure to my two spare batteries and all work properly now.
Good luck with your mower :)
Dan..