40micron fuel filter on a 4hp lv148ea-334005b engine?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / 40micron fuel filter on a 4hp lv148ea-334005b engine?
Well, according to Briggs the Red Filters are for gravity feed and the white filters are for engines with pumps, however i've had no issues with using the white filters on gravity systems.
I won't use the red filter on anything. Too course of filtering and have had enough debris get through to hold the float valve open. White for gravity flow systems, and the 40 micron 84001895 for fuel pump systems. Or the 12 050 01-S for larger engines.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
It will either work or it won't. Worst that can happen if it doesn't is you're out the cost of the filter and will need a new fuel line. Some OEMs are using 10 micron filters on gravity feed systems so my belief is it will be fine.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It will either work or it won't. Worst that can happen if it doesn't is you're out the cost of the filter and will need a new fuel line. Some OEMs are using 10 micron filters on gravity feed systems so my belief is it will be fine.
Which OEM's are using 10 micron filters for gravity flow systems. My overhead fuel tank with 10 micron filter won't flow with 18 inches of head without the pressure cap on the tank. I have had numerous lawn tractors with gravity flow that the tanks wouldn't completely empty with a 40 micron filter with the vapor recovery systems on the tanks, and had to switch them to 75 micron filters.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Which OEM's are using 10 micron filters for gravity flow systems. My overhead fuel tank with 10 micron filter won't flow with 18 inches of head without the pressure cap on the tank. I have had numerous lawn tractors with gravity flow that the tanks wouldn't completely empty with a 40 micron filter with the vapor recovery systems on the tanks, and had to switch them to 75 micron filters.
Kohler

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
It won’t. You might get by with a 150 micron filter. Have at it. Make sure that you buy some extra fuel line, you will probably need it.
I wouldn’t fool with it. It’s not necessary.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Okay now you have me thinking. Crap. I hate to misspeak on my very first post here.

There was an issue of fuel starvation on some brand-new Kohler engines a couple of years ago and we found Kohler had installed their 10 micron filter and thought sure we found the problem. Changed the filter to their 51 micron and the problem was still there. So we ruled out the 10 micron filter as being the issue. The more I think about it I may be remembering it wrong. It might have been we felt the 10 micro filter was too much for the pulse style fuel pump. I may have to see if I have any notes left on that issue.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Okay now you have me thinking. Crap. I hate to misspeak on my very first post here.

There was an issue of fuel starvation on some brand-new Kohler engines a couple of years ago and we found Kohler had installed their 10 micron filter and thought sure we found the problem. Changed the filter to their 51 micron and the problem was still there. So we ruled out the 10 micron filter as being the issue. The more I think about it I may be remembering it wrong. It might have been we felt the 10 micro filter was too much for the pulse style fuel pump. I may have to see if I have any notes left on that issue.
This is my go to fuel filter for pulse pump systems. Briggs and Kawasaki have similar filters. You dang sure don’t want one on a gravity feed system.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The 10 micron Kohler fuel filter is used on either on their fuel pump carb type engines or used as a prefilter for the EFI engines.

I have used the 24 050 13-S filters for years on the larger Kohler and other large V twins with fuel pumps for years without issues. Used the 691035 now 84001895 40 micron Briggs filters on the gravity flow engines, but started having issues around 2012 when they started the vapor recovery systems, and putting a low vacuum on the fuel tanks, and the non vented fuel caps.