317 wont start

Mwh0428

Threads
I got a 1978 317 automatic from my aunt it has a 18 hp kolher magnum opposed twin. My uncle told me could be valves or head gasket. He said he went out and It fired right up and mowed two times and now it won't start. I need to know what the torque sequence is and what you set your torque wrench to. Here is a picture

Sent from my iPod touch using LMF

Attachments

• image-707027396.png
    image-707027396.png
    758.1 KB · Views: 11

supertuner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could be blown engine. The Deere 317 almost put Deere out of the garden tractor market because of its bad reputation for throwing rods. The kohler engine that was used in it has a 5 psi pressure lubricated oil system that didn't even supply pressurized oil to the crank journals, they got their oil dripped down from the crank shaft. Check compression first.

Rabbitking88

Forum Newbie
Threads
I believe that you stated that you have a 18 hp magnum twin. This means that the tractor has been repowered.

Do you have spark? I would check ignition and carburator issues before tearing it down.

Lary1r

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is a website dedicated to John Deere mowers. It is called "Weekend Freedom Machines". They have a lot of good info and will be able to help you.