3 choices, need help please!

lilusman

Forum Newbie
Threads
After weeks of research and talking with my local dealers I have narrowed my choices for a ztr down to 3. All are available and servicable locally. Here they are in no specific order:
husqvarna mz6128zt- 3400transaxles and 28hp b&s endurance
dixon 61 ultra- same machine as husqvarna but with a 27 hp kohler courage
ariens-3100transaxles and 25 hp kohler courage pro
All are within a 100$ of the 5K price mark with 3 year residential warranties. I know the B&S endurance is a husqvarna exclusive engine but cant really find much info on how it compares. The Ariens seems heavier made (10guage vs 11) but the specs say it is slower, with the small hp engine and smaller transaxles I guess.
FYI, I will be using this for home use 2-3 acres on very flat ground. There were others like bad boy I considered but don't have a local dealer other than TSC. Any help you guys could give would help me sleep better! 5K is my max budget. I started at 3500 and am now up to 5000 but you have to stop somewhere right.
Thanks,
lilusman

Threads
I would say to go huskuavarna, it is the best brand name, but the Dixon is Also a good 0-turn. Horse power really does not mean much unless you have to mow steeper hills. Just go with what your gut tells you.

scott47429

Threads
go with the briggs engine kohler is a great engine bugt the courage seems to be blowing head gaskets more then the brigs unless they have fixed that

lilusman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I was kinda leaning the orange way as well. Both of those mowers are available for around 5K. Then yesterday while scanning Craigslist for the 100th time I found an Exmark Lazer Z s series with the 23hp kohler command. It is basically new. Under 50hrs. The guy's business shut down. It has the "Exmark exclusive Parker transmissions". The Husqvarna has the Hydrogear 3400. Both are 12cc transmissions. Does anyone know which is the better transmission? Obviously the Exmark is made heavier (weighs 1100 vs 800). The Husqvarna is listed to have a higher hp but I believe has a lower quality (rated) motor. He's asking 6500 for the exmark, but prolly would come down to 6000. Both have local service people. So Husqvarna new for $5000 + tax or Exmark used (under 50hrs) for $6000-6500 for?

Threads
Go with Husqvarna if a mower from Exmark or Scag is not in your price range.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I agree with scott 47429, go with the Exmark, you'll have twice the mower. The Parker transmissions are for a heavier duty application, there the better transmission by far.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ric, don't have the big one, but in this case with the choices available I have to agree with you. Go with the Exmark. It beats the rest hands down.