2925 Power Steering Check

lexadmn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have noticed recently the 2925 has become a bit sluggish steering. Compared to the Conquest - there is no comparison. The Conquest steers so much easier.
However, the 2925 did steer as easy as the Conquest 6 months ago.
I have looked the machine over and see no filter, nor a reservoir/tank.
I park on concrete and have no leaks while it is parked.
I do not have a manual to this mower, nor can I find one to look up troubleshooting steps.
Any suggestions on what to check?

Thank you
KC

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Really
Like Charlie Drake whose Boomerang won't come back.

You have to look
Try Here
You will need the model & serial off your mowers ID tag to get the service manual
Simplicity do this to prevent morons downloading them for free then selling them on EvilPay

lexadmn

Forum Newbie
Threads
this parts illustration I already have, there is nothing for troubleshooting power steering within this parts diagram and there are no other manuals for this machine available on Simplicity.
bertsmobile1, you provided nothing substantive to the inquiry I provided.
If you are looking to score additional message counts, do it on someone else's thread. Please don't hi-jack mine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think you will find there is a service manual for your mower.
I have a couple that were downloaded from Simplicity but could not check if there was more information for your mower as your model & serial numbers are needed to get past the fire wall and you did not provide them in your post so I could not check
SO if the only thing listed against your model & serial numbers is the IPL then ring Simplicity and ask
Some times the service manual is attached to the first ( or last ) model in a series and not linked to all the others as factories expect techs to download new model technical manuals in the year they are released .

We can only respond to the information we are given and we must always assume the writer has no idea unless they tell us otherwise .
You would be amazed at how many people think "searched everywhere " is a 2 word search via You tube

There is a big difference between reading " nor can I find one " and reading "I have downloaded the IPL from Simplicity but can not locate the service manual "
This is a free forum
No one gets paid for contributing nor to they gain anything other than acquiring the odd bit of information they did not know that may become useful some time in the future.
No one posts here to boost their self esteem , that is what face book & instagram is for and is why I only contribute to this forum and not the other 12 I haunt where converting posters to a particular religious belief or political idology seem to be the driving force behind them.
And if you do a "todays posts" search you will find I respond to about 5 % of the posts so no I am not trying to become king of the castle and usually skip over common problems that regularly appear because I know there are others with more time on their hands who will answer the post .

lexadmn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I reacted inappropriately. I apologize.

This mower is a Massey Ferguson 2925 made by Simplicity (model-1693135, serial-00198) with a CH25S Kohler engine, and 60-inch deck.
I have been to Massey to try to buy parts and get information in the past and the only response I get from Massey is - "not our mower, call Simplicity".
Their website does offer manuals for download, but you have to pay. I do not know if a manual to this mower is available for download as I never got past the paying part.
We do not have a mower shop of any variety in our town and not sure where the nearest may be located (2-hours away maybe?). I have to get my parts online.
OK, we have one small shop that sells a few generic parts and works on only what they sell (Bad-Boy), but when I mention "left handed" when trying to buy blades, they tell me - "Don't have them. Can't get them. So I order them.
I did go to Simplicity's website to attempt to find manuals for this mower and the only item I can see available is the Illustrated Parts List.
Perhaps I do not know how to search their site appropriately.
I did however, find manuals to a few other models of Simplicity by Google search and they do have troubleshooting steps to follow for power steering.
However, these manuals say the same thing - under the heading "Troubleshooting the Tractor", PROBLEM-Tractor steers hard; CAUSE - Power Steering Malfunction; REMEDY-See your Dealer.

This is where I chose to bring this topic up to this forum - to see if anyone may have experience with power steering on these mowers and may recommend any troubleshooting steps.
The mower is still operational, but the steering is sluggish and makes a noise similar to the 1970's and 80's GM cars with Saginaw power steering pumps when they were low on fluid.
This mower sits on concrete when not is use and there are no signs of any leaks. Never have been any leaks - so far.
My International tractor uses 20W motor oil as hydraulic oil in the hydraulic system. Not so sure about this mower, let alone I do not know what the capacity is.

Thank you
KC

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No need to appologise
Just so we know where we each stand
In many cases when a factory makes mowers for some one else then the IP belongs to the original customer so has to be accessed through the MF network in your case.
Now working on the teach a man to fish principle, the first thing to do is find which model Simplicity your mower was a derrivative of
For that I go to tractor data and look for a Simplicity that has a 25 HP engine, then check the engine details to see which ones were horizontal shafted
From there we now know that you are looking at a rebadged Simplicity Legacy ( probably XL )
Armed with that knowledge then it is off to parts tree to get a scrolling list of the Legacy tractors and scrolling down to find a 25 Hp Kohler engine with a deck of your size ( not devulged by you ) and from that use the model number shown in the drop down list to go back to Simplicity's web page
All well and good except Simplicity only show owners manuals ( in 5 languages ) & an IPL in english .
But from there we now find that the hydraulic pump is an Eaton item & the wheel motors were Tecumseh - Peerless.
So the service information for them will come from Eaton or Tecumseh not from Simplicity , this is SOP for just about every maker except JD & Toro
The hydraulic pump should have an Eatons model number on it so that is what will be needed to access service information on it .

You could go right through the Parts tree list to find a Legacy with your engine size & deck size made in the same year then approach Simplicity for service information on that model Legacy mower ( don't tell them it is branded MF )

Some Eatons manuals are available on line
This is the best I can do for you without charging .

As there are more Legacys around you might like to try asking forums for service info on what ever Legacy model you identify your MF as .

lexadmn

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is A LOT of information!
I will crawl around it and see if I can find any identifiers you spoke of.

Thank you much for this information.
KC

Attachments

• 20220828_125502.jpg
    20220828_125502.jpg
    730.5 KB · Views: 1

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
GEtting your hands on service information down here in OZ is a nightmare so you have to use work arounds.
Oz executives are all computer illiterate and consider a web site as nothing more than a way to distribute product brouchures without having to pay to have them printed .
Most brands are on short term exclusive distribution deals so unless it is a current model seeking customer service inevitably ends up with " we did not import that model so you will have to contact the original importer " and naturally they will not tell you who that was.
To subscribe to the ARD data network down here cost about 1/2 my annual turnover which is way too much just to get an IPL using the Aust export model numbers when with 15 minutes of computer work I can find the USA equivalent and get the information from USA sites for free .

We are an unbelievably greedy country with way too many people extorting way too much profit from way too little turn over while keeping costs to an absolute minimum and any sort of customer service is considered too big a drain on profits.
Classic example is Stens
Currently distributed through Masport, who have just been bought out by Alco .
To find a Stens part using an OEM part number I have to go to the Stens US web site to find the Stens Number then go to Masport web site & put in the order.
So why could we not access the Stens web site directly where the catalogue cold have a hidden-A added to the part number so I could only see what is stocked by the Aust distributer .