$2500, 1 Acre, A Hill and Shed Restrictions. What To Look At

Magsrgod

Threads
  • / $2500, 1 Acre, A Hill and Shed Restrictions. What To Look At
So I'm looking for some advice on what to start poking around at. I have about an acre and right now and I use a crappy LawnBoy push mower. I basically hate life come mowing time and I put it off forever so it's beyond a chore when it comes time to mow. Growing up I had this baby blue Yamaha mower that was unreal and I mowed the lawn all the time with it, I want to get back to that time.

I have $2500 to spend and a shed with a 48" opening and 89" deep, so I can fit almost any 42" deck ZTR or tractor. I will snap a picture of the little hill in the morning and post it up tomorrow. I don't think its a deal breaker with any types but I will have you guys take a gander for me.

So what's worth looking at on the market? I liked the look of the S240 for a tractor but I'm thinking a ZTR will be more beneficial, are there any ZTR's in the $2500 range worth purchasing?

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
So I'm looking for some advice on what to start poking around at. I have about an acre and right now and I use a crappy LawnBoy push mower. I basically hate life come mowing time and I put it off forever so it's beyond a chore when it comes time to mow. Growing up I had this baby blue Yamaha mower that was unreal and I mowed the lawn all the time with it, I want to get back to that time.

I have $2500 to spend and a shed with a 48" opening and 89" deep, so I can fit almost any 42" deck ZTR or tractor. I will snap a picture of the little hill in the morning and post it up tomorrow. I don't think its a deal breaker with any types but I will have you guys take a gander for me.

So what's worth looking at on the market? I liked the look of the S240 for a tractor but I'm thinking a ZTR will be more beneficial, are there any ZTR's in the $2500 range worth purchasing?

There are a few ztr mowers in the $3k range. Not going to find many priced much less than that. The hustler raptor, or toro time cutter come to mind. The cub cadet rzt s series is priced around $3k and has a steering wheel instead of lever controls. It is supposed to be a little better on inclines than comparable ztr mowers.

Magsrgod

Threads
There are a few ztr mowers in the $3k range. Not going to find many priced much less than that. The hustler raptor, or toro time cutter come to mind. The cub cadet rzt s series is priced around $3k and has a steering wheel instead of lever controls. It is supposed to be a little better on inclines than comparable ztr mowers.

Do you think I might be better off getting one of the large walk behind mowers with the wheel to stand on? I would be very open to that idea if the mower is good quality and falls into that price range. I looked at the hill this morning and I think any platform will be fine on it. I seem to have this vision of a short steep hill but it's really a pretty gentle slope when I look at it!

Magsrgod

Threads
OK just looked at those big walk behind mowers and their as much if not more than the ZTR's! Back to the drawing board

jaredfink

Threads
I would look into a hustler raptor 42. I don't have any experience with the 42 but hustler makes good machines. Hustler is also one of the only brands that says you can operate their zero turn on hills up to 15 degrees. They say because they have a lower center of gravity. They are priced at $2799. I normally wouldn't suggest this but you can order them online from lowes and try to find a coupon for 5 or 10% off. Also was told by a dealer that the raptors will be switching over to kohler motors because there deal with kawasaki on the lower price units are running out so I would get the kawasaki while you have a chance.

Magsrgod

Threads
I would look into a hustler raptor 42. I don't have any experience with the 42 but hustler makes good machines. Hustler is also one of the only brands that says you can operate their zero turn on hills up to 15 degrees. They say because they have a lower center of gravity. They are priced at $2799. I normally wouldn't suggest this but you can order them online from lowes and try to find a coupon for 5 or 10% off. Also was told by a dealer that the raptors will be switching over to kohler motors because there deal with kawasaki on the lower price units are running out so I would get the kawasaki while you have a chance.

Awesome thanks man, I also have a Hustler dealer near me so I will give them a call and see if they have any in stock! This thread is the first time I've heard of Hustler, are these leaps and bounds better than what the JD or Husqvarna ZTR options would be?

jaredfink

Threads
I don't know much about the jd options but I don't think you're going to find a real jd for that price. I have heard a lot of horror stories about Husqvarna so that took them off my radar.

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
Awesome thanks man, I also have a Hustler dealer near me so I will give them a call and see if they have any in stock! This thread is the first time I've heard of Hustler, are these leaps and bounds better than what the JD or Husqvarna ZTR options would be?

The raptor is at the bottom of hustler's line. They come with low end ezt hydros and the residential fr series Kawasaki engines. All of the ztr mowers you are looking at in this price range will offer a similar drive train. They are all comparable. Any of them should handle your lawn easily. The most common complaint I read about the raptor is that you have to purchase the exhaust heat shield separately. Those who went without it complained of damaging their lawn when the mower is not in motion.

Magsrgod

Threads
The raptor is at the bottom of hustler's line. They come with low end ezt hydros and the residential fr series Kawasaki engines. All of the ztr mowers you are looking at in this price range will offer a similar drive train. They are all comparable. Any of them should handle your lawn easily. The most common complaint I read about the raptor is that you have to purchase the exhaust heat shield separately. Those who went without it complained of damaging their lawn when the mower is not in motion.

I not married to any one style of mower. I really just want to get the most bang for my buck, I really do like the idea of the ZTR's or the real wide walk behinds but if a tractor is what will get me the most then I'm fine with that as well. I had originally went out to look at the Snapper rear motor rider and the local Snapper dealer has had so many issues with them he stopped selling them. I guess next year their redesigning it and he's hoping their more reliable, but that doesn't help me with the with my current need :laughing:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I not married to any one style of mower. I really just want to get the most bang for my buck, I really do like the idea of the ZTR's or the real wide walk behinds but if a tractor is what will get me the most then I'm fine with that as well. I had originally went out to look at the Snapper rear motor rider and the local Snapper dealer has had so many issues with them he stopped selling them. I guess next year their redesigning it and he's hoping their more reliable, but that doesn't help me with the with my current need :laughing:

For your $2500 Id be looking at the Cub Cadet XT2 LX46 with the fab deck. It has the Kawasaki 23 hp. I sure you can get that in your shed.

http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/cubcadet/lawn-and-garden-tractors/xt2/lx46fab