24 HP B&S won't start without starter fluid

VigilDeTejas

Forum Newbie
Threads
Once the engine is started, it runs fine, I can even restart it once the engine is warm.
The choke is on the throttle lever but it doesn't seem to "choke" the engine because the engine will continue to run at high RPM after starting. It never dies with the choke on. I don't run it like that, I pull the lever back to the rabbit.
The engine seems to run great, just won't start without spraying into the carb.

seattlepioneer

Threads
<<The engine seems to run great, just won't start without spraying into the carb. >>

I'm not an Xpert, so I'm proposing a guess to see if my guess is supported by those who are Xperts.

Isn't that kind of telling us that your have a fuel system or carburetor problem?

Do you habitually use fresh fuel every 30 days, or do you let fuel sit in the tank for weeks ----and perhaps for months over the winter? (Of course, surely none of US do THAT!)

I'd say you need to view some You Tube videos on cleaning carburetors and then give that a try yourself. If you specify the part number of your carb on You Tube, you might find a video on cleaning the same carb you have.

Inspect and consider replacing the fuel filter.

And inspect the intake manifold for being broken or cracked. That's the part(s) AFTER the carb that directs the carb fuel/air mixture to the cyclinders. If that is cracked, there wont be negative pressure to the carb to pull fuel/air mixture to the cylinders. Just air will be sucked into the cyclinders through the crack.

Drain and inspect the fuel from the tank as part of that, and consider cleaning the tank by adding some fresh fuel, shaking the tank to dislodge any accumulated debris, and draining that fuel out a couple of times.

Manufacturers often recommend replacing the spark plug after 100 hours of engine operation. If your engine has gone more than that, or more than that specified by the manufacturer for you engine, you might want to start by replacing the plug.

Last edited:

pabird

Forum Newbie
Threads
VigilDe, I also had this problem on a new simplicity mower with a Briggs engine. The fix was to push your throttle lever all the way up towards the choke position, there may also be a snowflake image at the top of the throttle housing. Then open the hood and find the throttle cable clamp at the front of the engine near the carb. Loosen this clamp and pull the throttle cable, you might notice a slight amount of movement only. Retighten the cable clamp while pulling the cable. This is all it took to correct my starting problem.

VigilDeTejas

Forum Newbie
Threads
<<The engine seems to run great, just won't start without spraying into the carb. >>

I'm not an Xpert, so I'm proposing a guess to see if my guess is supported by those who are Xperts.

Isn't that kind of telling us that your have a fuel system or carburetor problem?

Do you habitually use fresh fuel every 30 days, or do you let fuel sit in the tank for weeks ----and perhaps for months over the winter? (Of course, surely none of US do THAT!)

I'd say you need to view some You Tube videos on cleaning carburetors and then give that a try yourself. If you specify the part number of your carb on You Tube, you might find a video on cleaning the same carb you have.

Inspect and consider replacing the fuel filter.

And inspect the intake manifold for being broken or cracked. That's the part(s) AFTER the carb that directs the carb fuel/air mixture to the cyclinders. If that is cracked, there wont be negative pressure to the carb to pull fuel/air mixture to the cylinders. Just air will be sucked into the cyclinders through the crack.

Drain and inspect the fuel from the tank as part of that, and consider cleaning the tank by adding some fresh fuel, shaking the tank to dislodge any accumulated debris, and draining that fuel out a couple of times.

Manufacturers often recommend replacing the spark plug after 100 hours of engine operation. If your engine has gone more than that, or more than that specified by the manufacturer for you engine, you might want to start by replacing the plug.
I use fuel stabilizer in my 5 gallon can, it isn't fuel. And I replaced the fuel filter and plugs. I'm certain its something in the carb, but I need to know what to look for...

VigilDeTejas

Forum Newbie
Threads
VigilDe, I also had this problem on a new simplicity mower with a Briggs engine. The fix was to push your throttle lever all the way up towards the choke position, there may also be a snowflake image at the top of the throttle housing. Then open the hood and find the throttle cable clamp at the front of the engine near the carb. Loosen this clamp and pull the throttle cable, you might notice a slight amount of movement only. Retighten the cable clamp while pulling the cable. This is all it took to correct my starting problem.
...like this. I figured that the lack of choke on the lever was somehow related so this sounds plausible. I'll try it. Thanks.

deminin

Threads
...like this. I figured that the lack of choke on the lever was somehow related so this sounds plausible. I'll try it. Thanks.

I sometimes have the same trouble with my Husqvarna rider. If it doesn't "cold start" quickly, I pop the hood, and invariably the throttle cable isn't closing the choke. Earlier this year, I removed the screw holding the clamp, and put a couple of drops of ThreadLock on the screw threads, and so far it hasn't come loose anymore.