23 HP Kohler Courage makes a puffing noise when cutting off

earlybirdfarmsc

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 23 HP Kohler Courage makes a puffing noise when cutting off
My engine started last year making this puffing noise when you cut it off. I talked to someone at a local shop and they suggested it was a head gasket. The motor runs fine and all, cuts grass fine, just makes this loud noise when you cut it engine off. It has gotten worse and you can hear it some while cutting grass. I originally was thinking it was a leaking exhaust gasket and thought if my head gasket was leaking that the motor would not run. Oil level stays the same and I see no oil leaking anywhere.
Any other ideas?

geelee

Threads
its the head gasket

Mower King

Threads
My engine started last year making this puffing noise when you cut it off. I talked to someone at a local shop and they suggested it was a head gasket. The motor runs fine and all, cuts grass fine, just makes this loud noise when you cut it engine off. It has gotten worse and you can hear it some while cutting grass. I originally was thinking it was a leaking exhaust gasket and thought if my head gasket was leaking that the motor would not run. Oil level stays the same and I see no oil leaking anywhere.
Any other ideas?
It could be the EX gasket leaking but, those Kohlers are prone to head gaskets blowing. Try to isolate the "puffing" noise so you'll know what to repair.