2166 cub cadet

mickeyswing52

Threads
2166 cub will backup but some time will not go forward . Tractor has about 400 hours

Merlin2014

Forum Newbie
Threads
You really need to post more information. Did this just suddenly happen or did it slowly develop? Do you hear any strange noises coming from the transmission? Does it appear that the linkage is operating properly? When was the trans fluid and filter last changed?

mickeyswing52

Threads
You really need to post more information. Did this just suddenly happen or did it slowly develop? Do you hear any strange noises coming from the transmission? Does it appear that the linkage is operating properly? When was the trans fluid and filter last changed?

The trans fluid was just changed with filter, both were form Cub Cadet. I think the problem was that I need to bleed the air out of the system. How do you bleed the air out. Thanks Lynn

mickeyswing52

Threads
The trans fluid was just changed with filter, both were form Cub Cadet. I think the problem was that I need to bleed the air out of the system. How do you bleed the air out. Thanks Lynn

mickeyswing52

Threads
When I changed the trans axle oil I did not prefill the filter when I put it on. The tractor did move for a while but now will not move even after purging . Maybe I will have to pull the filter and prefill it and reinstall it. Do you think that is the problem. Thanks Lynn

Last edited:

Merlin2014

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lynn; How exactly did you purge the system? I personally have been lucky and have never had an issue after servicing my transmission. However from what I understand one way to get air out of the transmission is to loosen the filter a little with the engine OFF and see if there is any foam to the escaping fluid. If so then let it bubble out until all the air seems to be gone. Another method involves raising the rear and slowly working the transmission in forward and then reverse numerous times and see if the tires eventually start to turn. One other method calls for using an air hose and a rag to force some air into the transmission through the filler tube to force fluid throughout the transmission to prime the transmission. If using this last method be very careful to not over pressurize the transmission system. I hope this helps.

mickeyswing52

Threads
Thanks Merlin, I went out and did everything you said and the tractor now moves. Drove it ahead and back and it is smoother in reverse than in forward. But at lest it moves. Some time when I go forward I have to hold the peddle down longer to get it to move. Tomorrow I will go out and drive it some more and see if it gets better. Maybe put air in the filler again. Will let you know what happens. Thanks Lynn

mickeyswing52

Threads
Worked on the tractor today. It will move forward and revers but only the left side seems to be driving. With the tractor jack up when i turn the wheels there is only resistance on the left side none on the right side. Same with the axle engaged or not. The right side will spin very easy If i hold the right side I don`t feel anything when I turn the left side forward or reverse. Don`t know how long it has been that way. Only drove it very little since I bought it.