2135 Tires?

fergg

Forum Newbie
Threads
New member - first experience with a Cub !
My dad gave me an old 2135 that he got from somewhere. Its got 600 hrs on it and I think was stored in a basement for decade or two. The transmission is a little spotty going up a hill but it runs good and cuts. The rear tires however are a mess. He Slimed them and that worked for a few months but they look pretty dry-rotted on the sides and now just won't hold air, the wheels seem ok (not too much rust on the rim I can see). I can't seem to find anything online about the 20x9.00-8 tires except that they perhaps aren't made anymore.
Does anyone have a cheaper option to throw some tires/wheels at this thing? I'd almost rather get a new mower before throwing $200 just on tires at this thing... Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So if you want to replace you commercial grade Cub with an equivalent grade mowr today start looking at mowers that are $ 10,000 or more.
You can replace them with 20 x 8 x 8 or 20 x10 x 8.
The second number is the width of the tyre so is not really important.
You can also simply fit a tube if the tyre has reasonable tread and is not falling apart
SO you are looking at about $ 40 for 2 tubes or $ 80 for 2 tubes fitted.

What is important to your decision is the condition of the blade spindle housings.
Cub has discontinued them and they are becoming hard to come by.
Because this was a real commercial mower, it uses the correct type of blade bearings, tapered rollers which if kept greased last a very long time but if abused can destroy the housing.
The tranny is good for better than 2000 hours if the oil & filters got proper service, yours is probably low on oil or has water in it.
The only downside on these mowers was the pressed metal deck which while being 4 times as thick as any modern deck is still pressed so subject to rust & deformation when you smash it into things like tree roots.

fergg

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply! I'll take a look at the spindles tomorrow. I know he greased them when he gave it to me. I was thinking that my HDS 2135 could be easily replaced by an Cub XT1 ($1,600 at local HD). I saw a 2135 for sale online for about $300 in slightly looking worse shape than mine.
I've read a post somewhere that the mulching kits for these were not very good. Any experience with these on the 38" deck?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The XT1 is about 10% of what the 2135 is.
It is a cheap low end residential .
The 2135 is a medium to top end commercial.
Just came out at the wrong time as crews were tending towards ZTR's and the pressed deck put a lot of people off.
Troll through the Cub section and look at all of the 2000 series posts