Export thread

2022 Maverick with 27 hp Honda running rough.

7997T

I just bought a Maverick HD with the Gxv 800 Honda. After 15 to 20 minutes of running it starts to shudder and almost die. Level or slope it doesn't make a difference. When you stop moving it comes back but is still struggling to run. We shut it off and let set a few minutes and would run fine for about a minute then run rough again. Thinking fuel or ignition. Any thoughts?

S

slomo

Thinking take it back where you bought it from. New mowers shouldn't do this.

Was this purchased through a real deal mower shop or some huge big box store?

Are you using fresh fuel as in the last month? Clean fuel can?

M

MParr

Take it back to the dealer. Probably something to do with the blasted fuel injection system.

7997T

I filled it with fresh 90 octane no ethanol gas. It was purchased from a actual mower shop.

M

MParr

I filled it with fresh 90 octane no ethanol gas. It was purchased from a actual mower shop.
Take it back. Warranty. Let Bad Boy and Honda figure it out. Heck, they may let you swap it for a something that doesn’t have fuel injection.

M

MParr

Take it back. Warranty. Let Bad Boy and Honda figure it out. Heck, they may let you swap it for a something that doesn’t have fuel injection.
These Honda fuel injected V-Twins are relatively new to the mower market. They are going to be problems that will need to be ironed out. I hope Honda can get them to work. The mower industry doesn’t need another Yamaha debacle.

7997T

Ran it this evening and it started having issues at 5 minutes. Nothing could reproduce the issue on a consistent basis. I called dealer and am dropping it off tomorrow morning. Cruddy part is that I have a 2 hour drive each way. Will update when I know more.

B

BigBlueEdge

Bringing it to the dealer is the right path.

But for those symptoms it appears to be a fuel delivery problem. I'd look for: plugged fuel filter, fuel tank vapor locking (vent plugged), kinked fuel line, electrical problem in the fuel system electronics.

7997T

Got it back and mowed for 40 minutes. Runs fine. They changed plugs, fuel lines and fuel filter. Drained fuel and strained it, found no debris. Also checked tank for any form of blockage and check vent. No service bulletins out either. Fingers crossed I am not the Guinea pig for problems! Thanks for the help!

S

SeniorCitizen

Do you have the old plugs or the make to compare to the new installed plugs ?

7997T

Do you have the old plugs or the make to compare to the new installed plugs ?
No didn't think to ask for them. I can check what the new ones are tomorrow. Away this weekend.

H

hungbeachbum

Did you ever find out what was wrong? Got the exact same mower, doing the exact same thing,,also have a 3 hour drive and 2 ferry rides to get it back to dealer,, any information I'd appreciate.

M

MParr

Got it back and mowed for 40 minutes. Runs fine. They changed plugs, fuel lines and fuel filter. Drained fuel and strained it, found no debris. Also checked tank for any form of blockage and check vent. No service bulletins out either. Fingers crossed I am not the Guinea pig for problems! Thanks for the help!
You are definitely a Guinea Pig and so is everyone else who bought a mower equipped with these new EFI Honda engines.

G

GrumpyCat

You are definitely a Guinea Pig and so is everyone else who bought a mower equipped with these new EFI Honda engines.
My Bad Boy dealer will not stock an EFI mower.

M

MParr

My Bad Boy dealer will not stock an EFI mower.
Smart! However, if he has any Honda equipped Bad Boy mowers, they are EFI.