2021 Craftsman T210 PTO safety switch

6pak60

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have a 2 year old T210. Swapped regular blades today and put mulching kit on the mower. now it will run about 10 feet and acts like trying to mow in reverse without engaging the back up feature on the ignition switch. disengage PTO and it stops. Engage again, runs a few feet and starts trying to shut down again until i disengage again. Is this the safety switch and if so is there a way to bypass the switch?
Also, it keeps throwing the deck belt. Deck and belt are installed correctly, new belt last summer. I'm considering going with a shorter belt. Has anyone else done this and if so, what length belt?
Thanks in advance

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First let's first with the real model number from the serial number tag.

Second bypassing safeties isn't something tell users how to do because liability issues. I done had customer's family members trying to sue me because the owner had bypass a safety switch and then got hurt.

I even had case where the equipment owners insurance had me as independent shop inspect and repair such a bypassed mower. They went after the DIYer that installed the wrong safety switch for the costs of the repairing the equipment owner wife's new car where the mower ran into the side of it because it didn't shut down when the rider was knock off the mower.

Also when mulching you must give the deck time to clear the mulched material. Personally I don't like full mulch decks as they are always a problem here.

6pak60

Forum Newbie
Threads

Second bypassing safeties isn't something tell users how to do because liability issues. I done had customer's family members trying to sue me because the owner had bypass a safety switch and then got hurt.

I even had case where the equipment owners insurance had me as independent shop inspect and repair such a bypassed mower. They went after the DIYer that installed the wrong safety switch for the costs of the repairing the equipment owner wife's new car where the mower ran into the side of it because it didn't shut down when the rider was knock off the mower.

Also when mulching you must give the deck time to clear the mulched material. Personally I don't like full mulch decks as they are always a problem here.
Model # is 13BOA1ZSO93. Removed the deck today, and found the bearings for the tensioner pulley are shot. so pulley wobbles, making the belt throw off. Am i correct in assuming with the pulley wobbling that this would also trigger the safety switch? Or could i have 2 separate issues?
I ordered a new pulley thru Napa and will install it this weekend. Will post result next week.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am yet to see a belt falling off that trips any safety switches
Mower repair 101
Get a copy of the illustrated parts list / manual / book
Use that to work out how many safety switches there are and where they are positioned
Standard kit is seat switch, parking brake switch . PTO switch, reverse switch & Neutral switch ( on manual boxes & some manual transaxles ) .
Then there are two sets of circuits
Cranking
parking brake + pto switch + neutral switch ( where fitter )
Engine cut out
Seat switch + pto switch
Seat switch + Brake switch
Reverse switch + pto switch

While I found it hard to understand what you are trying to say on the 300th reading it sounds like you are simply overwhelming the deck .
Mulching kits can only handle a 1" of cut at best
Much more than that and the clippings clog the deck and stop the blades from turning which overloads the engine and stalls the motor

The other alternative is the deck has chaffed through some of the wires that go under the mower

Last edited:

smalltimerpm

Threads

I definitely agree! Bypassing switches is a big no no! For everyone's benefit at that matter.

smalltimerpm

Threads
i have a 2 year old T210. Swapped regular blades today and put mulching kit on the mower. now it will run about 10 feet and acts like trying to mow in reverse without engaging the back up feature on the ignition switch. disengage PTO and it stops. Engage again, runs a few feet and starts trying to shut down again until i disengage again. Is this the safety switch and if so is there a way to bypass the switch?
Also, it keeps throwing the deck belt. Deck and belt are installed correctly, new belt last summer. I'm considering going with a shorter belt. Has anyone else done this and if so, what length belt?
Thanks in advance
You said it starts TRYING to shut down like the blades are slowly stopping or cutting off at once?...maybe that bad bearing you found was causing belt and blades to Start failing?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads

13BOA1ZSO93 (MTD CMXGRAM1130043) Manual 42" cut deck.​

Deck safety switch is fully disengaged when the PTO is engaged. Otherwords no way for an operating deck to trip the PTO switch.

First repair the deck problem and retest as it sounds like you have two issues but it highly you have a deck bearing locking up. Don't forget to check the spindle bearing while the deck is off.

Boy has MTD gotten worst with their IPLs.