2018 Dixie Chopper Blackhawk HP 25 hp Kohler 60" deck

Tatwo

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / 2018 Dixie Chopper Blackhawk HP 25 hp Kohler 60" deck
Greetings and thanks
As the mower warms up...it will get to a place where the left handle will need to be pushed forward past the right handle making them out of balance and eventually it begins to make a whining noise and just does not really want to work.

If I go very slow I don't really notice it as much

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Tatwo...:)

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have sold a lot of the Black Hawks and Eagles Only replaced two of the Parker hydros both were due to leaks. Seem to be almost bullet proof. Might check the belt. Has the idler ever been replaced? They came out with a plastic idler on those early models. Have seen them fail with really low hours on them. But have also seen them with a lot of hours on them. Have replaced three this year that are original idlers. Have you checked the fluid in it?

Tatwo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have sold a lot of the Black Hawks and Eagles Only replaced two of the Parker hydros both were due to leaks. Seem to be almost bullet proof. Might check the belt. Has the idler ever been replaced? They came out with a plastic idler on those early models. Have seen them fail with really low hours on them. But have also seen them with a lot of hours on them. Have replaced three this year that are original idlers. Have you checked the fluid in it?
Greetings hlw49 and thanks for the response...

There was a leak for a bit due to the "breather/dip stick" not functioning properly...but I never remember the fluid being "too" low because I keep a pretty good eye on those things. If it were to run low would it make a cringy whining sound maybe?

Idler looks fine and so does the belt I'll do a test run up on the stand later...the fluid level is also fine but there is a small amount of "whitish" stuff similar to when water gets in oil if you know what I mean?

I am curious about finding a repair/service manual for this mower...do have any idea where I might get one and if I might ask another favor of you might it be the hydro perhaps and if so...is there a test?

Greatful

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Greetings hlw49 and thanks for the response...

There was a leak for a bit due to the "breather/dip stick" not functioning properly...but I never remember the fluid being "too" low because I keep a pretty good eye on those things. If it were to run low would it make a cringy whining sound maybe?

Idler looks fine and so does the belt I'll do a test run up on the stand later...the fluid level is also fine but there is a small amount of "whitish" stuff similar to when water gets in oil if you know what I mean?

I am curious about finding a repair/service manual for this mower...do have any idea where I might get one and if I might ask another favor of you might it be the hydro perhaps and if so...is there a test?

Greatful

Said the idler looked fine. Is it metal or is it black plastic. If black plastic I would replace it. If it is black plastic I bet the bearing is going bad and making a noise.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Hmmm I wonder if this is metal or plastic?
1723077441144.png

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
That one is metal. If it has water in the hydro it can make it run hot could make noise have low power. If it has water in the hydro and is milky looking I would change the oil and filter. HT1000 oil is expensive but it is a 1,000 hour oil.
waHmmm I wonder if this is metal or plastic?
View attachment 69437
That one is metal.

Last edited:

Tatwo

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it has water in the hydro it can make it run hot could make noise have low power.
This is it...thankyou.

I dropped the hydro fluid in both transmissions and they both had water in them...how...I am wondering?

I put the HT-1000...$130.00 for 3.78 QT's. sheesh...and the filters as well $25 each...new breather/dipsticks at $50.00 each and now it's back up and mowing. I am looking at replacing the plastic idler with a metal one and the boys at the shop ordered it...$75.00.

So the HT-1000 is 1000 hr. oil...what about those filters? You getting a 1000 hrs outta them as well?

Is there a service manual, repair manual, shop manual somewhere that I can get for this mower? I have been doing work on these things for years and can generally do all the basic repairs...but a manual helps...just curious?

Thankyou @hlw49 and @StarTech for your assistance...I appreciate it! With all the rain the grass is growing fast and I have 4 acres to mow and like to stay on top of it...hate raking clumpy grass.

Respectfully,

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for your kind words it is posters like you that make us want to help more. Have searched but have not been able to find manual as of yet. Will keep looking though.